I am considering a full body make over in about 6 months from now (mommy makerover). However, I have a serious concern.

I have always had a lower abdominal problems (I call it a kangaroo pouch) since I was a teenager. It just never seemed to go away. I feel that a tummy tuck would be the best way to get rid of it but, the idea of having that horrendous scar for the rest of my life haunts me. Is there any way to avoid that scar and/or get rid of it completely once the procedure is done? The idea of gettin a tattoo to cover it is out of the question. The scar is scaring me into wanting to keep the pooch.

Mommy Makeover - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. Based on your description, it sounds like you are an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. The scar can often be placed low enough that it is hidden beneath your underwear or bikini line. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Kangaroo pouch vs. flat stomach with scar under the bikini

There are several thousand pictures of tummy tuck scars on RealSelf and in my opinion, most if not all of these patients are happy to live with the low lying scar as a tradeoff for a tight, smooth and flatter belly.
Each person has to make that choice for themself.

Best wishes to you.

Sheldon Lincenberg, MD

Thank you for your question and I am sorry that the tummy tuck scar has caused you pause.  Unfortunately it is impossible to perform scarless surgery as any procedure will leave you with some sign of the operation.  Plastic surgeons are trained to minimize a scar's appearance using various surgical techniques, and there are methods to try and improve scarring from surgery, but most patients welcome the improved size and shape that a tummy tuck affords and learn to accept the scarring. Be sure to see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person consultation and discussion of your desired results as well as options to minimize scarring. I am attaching a link below with information you may find useful.   

Tummy tuck - abdominoplasty - scar

Unfortunately there will be a scar. If this is your major concern, than a surgical correction of your tummy may not be an option. Even if you are healing  well, and everything is done to reduce the visibility of the scar (surgical technique, post op care etc.), it still will be there. Make a judgement call about the benefits versus the scar, and what is more important to you.

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

Great question.  Whenever there is an incision for surgery there will be a scar.  However, if the scar is of good quality (thin and flat and comparable in color to surrounding skin) and in a good location (hidden by a bikini) then the scar will be well accepted.  The way the tummy tuck is designed and the way the scar is closed will have a huge impact on the final overall scar appearance.  Embrace scar therapy should also be used to improve the final scar appearance.  If the appearance of the scar is still objectionable then a scar revision perhaps 6-12 months down the road can be performed.  The scar revision will result in much less tension on the skin closure compared to the tummy tuck and therefore the final scar appearance should be improved.

Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Scar after tummy tuck

Whenever there is an incision, there will be a scar.  However, you must keep in mind that this incision will be made an closed by a plastic surgeon who has been trained on how to minimize its appearance.  The scars tend to do very well and fade nicely over time, sometimes they can even be hard to find once they've matured.  There are also products on the market to help the scars to fade and be minimally noticeable.  I would encourage you to meet with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can discuss in detail with you what you can expect from the procedure and the scar.  You very well may decide that the incision is more than worth it!

Camille Cash, MD