Facelift - is it possible for me to suspend the lower face back up?

Hi doctors, I am 33 years old and went under cheekbone and jawline reduction last year. Although the width of my face is more narrow, the soft tissue and muscle has shifted down, and the cheek has also droop down. I have lost the golden triangle in my midface and no longer have that heart shaped face. Is it possible for me to suspend the lower face back up? Thank you.

You may need a facelift

If you need to lift the mid and lower face, a facelift may be the best option for you, even at your relatively young age. See someone with extensive experience.

Andrew Campbell, M.D.
Facial Plastic Specialist
Quintessa

Milwaukee Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hello Stayingpositive 11,

Following your cheek and jaw reduction surgery, you lost volume in your face.  The result of that is the sagging that you are describing.  Since you underwent those surgeries I doubt you would want to go the route of adding volume back to your face to help pull those areas up.  Therefore, a lifting procedure would likely help.  You would really have to see a facial plastic surgeon or plastic surgeon for an in person evaluation to determine what options exist for you.

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Determining the Facial Procedures Best For You

During your #consultation, your skin texture and elasticity, as well as your underlying skin structure and your facial bone structure will be evaluated. Based on this evaluation, your board certified plastic surgeons will create a custom surgical plan, detailing specific techniques and recommendations to meet your goals. In doing so, he or she should be sure to have a full understanding of what results you expect. It is possible to #combine #surgeries. In fact, I commonly recommend other procedures to go accompany a facelift, such as blepharoplasty or a midface (cheek) lift, to name a few. The combination of multiple of facial procedures may create an optimal result. The best procedure approach will be discussed in greater detail during your one-on-one #consultation. I invite you to visit PacificCenterPlasticSurgery.com to view a complete list of surgeries commonly performed. 

If you are not a #candidate, your surgeon can make other suggestions to address your concerns and objectives. It is extremely important to seek a board certified plastic surgeon highly trained with your desired procedures. I also encourage you to look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients. Also, reading patient reviews of those who have had combined surgeries will be beneficial. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

How does a facelift work?

thanks for your question. I think it may be helpful to get a good understanding of the anatomy and function of a facelift. 

I posted an article below that may give you some insight and help understand all the suggestions you are getting. 

Dr Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Surgery options

Please seek an in person consultation, you may be a candidate for simple liposuction of the area. Liposuction of the cervical facial area is usually done in one hour under local IV sedation. In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck!

Dean Vistnes,M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery

#realself #drdeanvistnes #liposuction #cervicalfacial

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Difficult to assess without pictures

It is difficult to answer your concerns.  I would first ask if these procedures were performed for cosmetic or reconstructive issues.  Was it performed to improve your jawline or bite?  Is the dropping symmetrical?  Sometimes a droopy face may be related to facial nerves after surgery.  If your face generally is symmetric I would first consider fillers at your age. Lifting or using filler may make your face look wider if not done appropriately.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

Is it possible to suspend the lower face back up?

Given your age I would recommend to focus on volume replacement with fillers vs surgery. Based on your description you may benefit from augmenting the submalar/cheek area. This could restore the "heart" shaped appearance. There are many filler options ranging from synthetic to your own fat. Hope this helps.
Good luck,
Dr. Dominic

Dominic Castellano, MD
Tampa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift

You have lost structure and support due to your recent surgeries. It's important to evaluate your face in view of recent changes. It sounds like a facelift would help you.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Hi, non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would help in the evaluation. I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts. Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face. Conversely, men look ruggedly handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles.

If a weak chin exists, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Facelift in thirty year old

Restoration of volume either with fat, fillers or implants has become an integral part of facial rejuvenation or enhancement.  Without a photo it is difficult to make definitive suggestions, but for younger patients like yourself I am a proponent of cheek implants. Their use can provide volume, but also a lifting effect on inferior tissues.  Regards, Dr. Kiener