Facelift or..?

I'm 32 and experiencing soft tissue laxity after zygomatic and jawline reduction. Will Micronesians or ultherapy tighten skin or should I just go for a facelift?

Explore Nonsurgical Options

Hi Blossomsinbloom, thank you for this question. Without a photo, it really isn't possible to provide any specific advice about the best treatment path for you. Ultherapy is one of several nonsurgical skin tightening devices that use some form of heat energy to remodel and stimulate the production of collagen. Laser procedures can achieve similar goals. That said, none of them replicate the results of a facelift. You're only 32, though, so there's reason for me to be hesitant to recommend a surgical facelift. Contact a qualified plastic surgeon to physically examine your face and explain your options.

Early tissue laxity

Reducing the zygoma and jaw line you results in
a relative facial volume reduction. A board certified
plastic surgeon  can determine which of the volume
correction or skin tightening procedureswould work
better for you. See the link for board certified plastic
surgeons in your area.

Fernando Colon, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Facelifting #woundhealing #cosmeticsurgery #BOTOX #tmbcosmeticsurgery

Dear Blossomsinbloom

Thank you for your question!  You would best seek out a couple of consultations to determine what is needed for the changes that you want.

With Warm Regards

Trevor M Born MD

Trevor M. Born, MD

Should I get a facelift or Ultherapy at 32 yo.

This is a personal decision and should be made in conjunction with the appropriate Specialist.  Without pictures I cannot fully inform you.  Generally, at such a young age I would also inform you of the other alternatives that may benefit you.  This may include Botox and fillers.  You may also benefit from skin creams or procedures, such as Ultherapy, IPL, peels .....

Please consult a Specialist in your area.

Ernest Robinson, MD
Aliso Viejo Facial Plastic Surgeon

How to improve your face...the science

Hi there, I noticed your question and thought you may benefit from an article I posted below (see the link). It may help you get some insight into how these procedures work and what would be best for you. 

Dr Bonaparte

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

32 and experiencing soft tissue laxity after zygomatic and jawline reduction. Will Micronesians or ultherapy tighten skin or sho

Hi, I have performed facelifts for over 30 years and have performed many minimally, invasive type facelifts on women in their late twenties and early thirties that had early development of "jowls". Non smiling photos of your face from the front and side would allow evaluation of the face for the presence of "jowls" which is the primary indication for a facelift. 

Think of facial beauty as something that "must" address all layers of the face including the skeletal structure of the cheeks and chin, the overlying SMAS muscle, amount and position of subcutaneous fat and finally the degree of skin laxity. It's an "urban myth" that pulling tissues over flat cheeks and a weak chin can create a beautiful or handsome face. Similarly, dermal fillers or facial implants alone can't lift and remove excess skin from the face and neck. Natural looking beauty is created by the aesthetic vision of what tissues layers need to be adjusted by what technique and amount.

Non surgical skin/tissue tightening (Ulthera and others) have limitations of several mm's while surgical skin removal is often 2 to 3 inches. The difference is 2-3 mm's versus 50-75 mm's (there are 24.5 mm’s per inch) with surgical removal. So, the answer is yes you can have a non surgical treatment but you have to be realistic about the results provided by non surgical techniques.

Dermal fillers would be a great place to start if your cheeks are flat as this alone can feminize the entire face. In order for that to occur, the dermal filler needs to be placed in the front of the cheeks which will create a full round cheek and thereby a feminine, heart shaped face. If however, the dermal filler is placed to the outside of the cheek this broadens and widens the face which is a relatively masculinizing effect and one that will "not" create a more feminine shaped face.

Following the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, women look the most feminine, youthful and attractive with heart shaped faces. Heart shaped faces have cheeks that are full and round in the front. Cheek augmentation with a dermal filler or using cheek implants for a permanent enhancement will create full, round cheeks that will feminize the entire face.

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick and highly effective.

If you have "jowls” these are sagging facial tissues and an indication for some form of a SMAS facelift. The underlying SMAS layer, of the face, must be dissected, lifted, trimmed and re-sutured (not merely folded or suspended with threads or sutures that will not last). The excess skin is then removed and the facelift incisions closed.

My most popular facelift is the minimally invasive, short incision facelift that has all the benefits of more invasive facelifts (traditional, mid-face, deep plane, cheek lift and subperiosteal facelifts) but with these added benefits:

• very small incisions
  • minimal tissue dissection = less bruising and swelling = rapid recovery
  • can be performed in 90 minutes or less, with or without general anesthesia
  • no incisions within the hair = no hair loss
  • excess fat can be removed
  • excess skin removed
  • cheeks, chin and jaw line can be augmented with dermal fillers (I prefer Restylane Lyft) or facial implants
  • most patients fly back home to parts all over the world in as little as 3 days post-op
I combine facial shaping with every facelift procedure. When jowls are present, these should be done in concert and not alone or separately in order to create a naturally, more attractive face.

Hope this helps.

Need photos

Its hard to determine which procedure would be best without photos.  If you had
a surgical jawline reduction, you might be a candidate for a surgical procedure.
Its best to seek consultation with a board certified surgeon experienced in
this area.

Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Ontario Facial Plastic Surgeon

Too young for facelift

Dear patient,
Thank you very much for your questions.
It is very difficult to give an advice without any pictures but truly I know that you are in very young age for facelift now. Since non-invasive treatments are too popular now all over the world, just try to find a high professional doctor (firstly it may be dermatologist and than it can be plastic surgeon who practice non-invasive treatments).
After 10-12 years you may be perfect patient for mini or even full facelift, but not know.
I wish you good luck.
With greetings from Istanbul, TT.

Tunc Tiryaki, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon