Is a doughnut type breast lift enough for me? Or do I need the lollipop version? (Photos)

I'm a dark skinned female (18 years old), African and I'm planning to get a breast lift in the near future and would want to pick a type that gives me minimum scarring, I'm wondering if the doughnut type is enough to lift my breasts without the vertical type?? Since it causes minimum scarring, is it enough? Or am I required to get a vertical type? Also, is there a way to fade the scars after the surgery? Like a laser treatment? Here are the photos of my breasts. Thanks in advance

Donut or Lollipop Breast Lift

In our office, I prefer to use a #shortscar technique, #LollipopScar or #DonutLift” rather than the majority of surgeons in the United States that use an anchor pattern lift which involve more significant scarring. The procedure can also be combined with a minor breast reduction to reduce the breast width if desired. The surgery will create an elevated, more youthful breast contour. Also, the procedure will create nipple and areolae of the desired size and at the correct height.

Also, the insertion of an implant as well, may be advisable to restore superior fullness, which is lost with aging and after pregnancy despite the rest of the breast being overly large. Fat grafting can be used instead of implants to improve the contours of the breast. This is the #NaturalBreastLIft or #CaliforniaBreastLift.

I would recommend you find local surgeons to schedule consultations for the best procedure to help you reach your desired results. Good luck with your decision!

What type of breast lift do I need?

Based on your photos, you have large pendulous breasts. You will most likely need an anchor type (Wise pattern) lift.  You can use the embrace advanced scar therapy dressings to help minimize the scars.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

Dark skinned and wondering about results, scarring for a breast lift

In my practice, we always are looking for minimal scarring and maximal results.  But sometimes doing a doughnut breast lift gives a suboptimal result when the breasts are relatively large and hang low.  In this case, it is best to do a vertical mastopexy (or lollipop scar) surgery. This will maximally lift the breast but it avoids the additional scar along the inframam fold. So instead there is a lollipop scar and not an anchor scar. 

Best wishes to you.

Is a doughnut type breast lift enough for me? Or do I need the lollipop version?

You do not appear to be a candidate for a "Donut" lift..In my opinion- in order for you to achieve perky breasts - it will require mastopexy/full lift. See video attached

Breast lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  It appears that you absolutely need a full breast lift to achieve your desired result.  Although this will leave you with more extensive scarring, I have found that this technique gives far superior results.  A donut lift would not be allow you achieve the lift that you need.

Selection of Breast Lift Technique

A breast lift is always a trade off of improved shape for scar.  It is natural to want to minimize scarring with a cosmetic procedure, but it is important to avoid compromising the result of the surgery in an effort to avoid a longer scar.  Based on your photos, you would not be a good candidate for a doughnut (periareolar) mastopexy, as the amount of lift you need is more than a periareolar mastopexy can provide.  If you were to find a surgeon who offered you this option, what you would likely end up with is wrinkling around your areola, less lift than you need, a flattened breast shape, and an areola that stretches significantly over time.  I believe you would have a much better result with either a lollipop or Wise pattern mastopexy (my recommendation between these two options would be based on your measurements and skin quality, which is impossible to assess over the internet).

Thank you for your question.  Based on your degree of breast ptosis and the distance you wish to raise your nipple position, a lollipop (vertical) breast lift would be superior to a donut breast lift.  A donut breast lift is best for minimal adjustments and the downside is that it tends to flatten the breast projection.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Based on your photos a donut lift or periareolar mastopexy will not give you an adequate breast lift. The scars are a much better alternative than a donut lift that does not effectively lift your breast. please read below;