Is composite bonding a good option? Are there different types of material to use for bonding? What is the best one now? (Photo)

I ve small gaps on the front upper tooth. My incisors are a small maybe because I used to have a lot of antibiotics when I was young due to tonsillitis problems. I just want to mainly close the gaps. But since I drink coffe daily ( 1 time day ) I am worried about the stain on the long run . ( i don't drink alchohol or wine ) Iam happy with my teeth, i don't want them perfectly aligned . I just need them to close the gaps . Also, will be able to eat all types of food after bonding. ( photos)

Bonding to Close Gaps

Bonding is a perfect option for you. No tooth shaving is necessary and done properly will last you for many years. A well polished bonding can resist staining and provide you with what you're looking for. There are many excellent materials we use, but quite frankly, you need to see a dentist that is talented when it comes to placing the restorations. 

Bonding is an option but I think it is not ideal in your situation. Your teeth are fairly evenly spaced so I don't feel that you need orthodontics or Invisalign. I would suggest 4 very conservative veneers. Minimal prep because you have very healthy teeth. This will provide a very long lasting and esthetic result. It is important to find a dentist who understands minimal prep veneers and is good with shade matching. Do your research and make sure that you are happy with the results before they are bonded into place. You only get one shot at that. I hope this helps.

Is composite bonding a good option?

Bonding would be a great option for you, in fact it would be my recommendation in your  case  vs porcelain veneers for several reasons.  #1, there is no preparation or filing of teeth is totally non-invasive, you get to keep all of your healthy tooth structure.  #2, it will provide a very natural looking result, not fake looking at all.  #3, you can see how it will look in your mouth with a Smile Preview...your dentist can place and shape resin material on your tooth very quickly without permanently bonding to your tooth.  This allows you to see close to the final result and decide if you like it before committing to treatment.  #4, it can be done in 1 short visit, no waiting for porcelain veneers from a lab, no need to wear temporaries that may dislodge.  #5, it can last a long time, but if there should be a chip or some breakage, it can easily and affordably be repaired In 1 short visit, unlike porcelain veneers which would need to be replaced at a significant cost.  #6, the new materials are highly polishable and quite stain resistant.  If they do stain, they can easily be polished or resurfaced.  Porcelain veneers do have an advantage here, as they are more color stable, but they can stain at the margins if they are not meticulously placed.  #7, it is very affordable, much less expensive than porcelain veneers.  We have very successfully closed spaces similar to yours using direct resin bonding with great results and very happy and satisfied patients,   You just need to find a dentist that is artistic, skilled, and experienced in the use of these materials.  There are many of us out there!!!!

Closing the gap options

Bonding is an option, however, if you are a big coffee drinker there are concerns with staining as you suspected.  

Veneers or porcelain crowns maybe options but this involves removal of tooth structure.  These will be more resistant to stain and hold up longer than bonding. 

I would recommend looking into orthodontics, possibly Invisalign. This can close the gaps and is a more conservative treatment option. If there are issues with tooth proportions (small lateral incisors) this can be accounted for and corrected after ortho is completed with one of the options above if desired.  

David M. Schertzer, DDS
Saint Louis Dentist

Consider veneers rather than bonding #DrSoftTouch

While bonding would improve your smile, I would not recommend it for your case. Bonding chips and stains easily and you would likely need to have it replaced often. I would recommend porcelain veneers for the best, long term, esthetic results. Porcelain veneers are a great way to make small teeth more proportional and close spaces like yours. The size and shape your lateral incisors will be improved with veneers and the spaces between your top four front teeth woluld be corrected as well.  Typically, for the most proportional, cosmetic result, I recommend four or more veneers across the top. The best thing to do is find an experienced cosmetic dentist who will give you the results you desire. I hope this helps.  Click "save" under my name, if you'd like to ask me more questions in the future.  

Bonding is definitely an option.  However you have to be more careful what you bite on if bonding is done.  Normally the main disadvantage of bonding is that it is suseptable to cracking and staining.  In terms of bonding material I use Esthex material for front teeth due to its natural translucency.

Your other option is Porcelain veneers.  The drawback of veneers is that you will need to shave down the enamel a bit.  However it is much stronger than bonding and it is not as susceptible to staining.

Dr. Maddahi

Kourosh Maddahi, DDS
Beverly Hills Dentist