Breast augmentation! Can someone give me an idea of they will get any bigger or is this the actual size?

Hi everyone! I'm 34 years old weight 96-100 lbs. Two months ago I got a breast augmentation 425 Ccs of silicone high profile under the muscle. The doctor told me they were going to be really big for my size, I really don't see them big at all, I'm a little disappointment. Can someone give me an idea of they will get any bigger or is this the actual size? I was a 32 small b and now at Victoria's secrets they tell me I'm a 32 DDD I honestly don't see that. Can someone please help me?

Breast augmentation

Sizing the implant is a process of measuring your breast diameter and trying implants on. You sound petite and we have no pictures. You also fail to mention your height. It is unfortunate that you feel you are not big enough. Live with it for awhile and if you are still unhappy you can always go bigger.  All the best.

Breast size

Thank you for the question. In my experience much of the breast size is the perception of the patient. As you know, the cup size of each bra maker is different. I generally avoid talk about cup size in the consultation until the patient, with the help of the sizers, see what they look like with a particular volume sizer. You certainly do not sound small with 32ddd size (without photo for more objective opinion). If you still feel they are not large enough, you should discuss with your surgeon. 

Neil T. Chen, MD
Albuquerque Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about breast size after breast augmentation surgery…

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure.  Your plastic surgeon will always be your best resource when it comes to accurate assessment and advice.

Generally speaking, breast implants will "drop" into the pocket that was created during surgery. The rate of breast implant "settling" may depend on factors such as size of breast implant pocket dissected, tightness of the overlying skin/muscle layers, and size of breast implant utilized. Normally, it takes about 3-6 months (for some patients longer) to see the final result. 

Many of my patients report that as the swelling around the breast implants (for example, in the sternal area) decreases, they feel that their breasts appear more projecting (and that they have better "cleavage"). Also, in my opinion, the "drop and fluff” phenomenon does hold some validity; as breast implants “settle”, many patients feel that their breasts actually look larger. Similarly, it takes a few months for the breasts to "soften" in most cases. 

Most of my patients tell me that their breast implants feel "part of them" somewhere between 3 to 6 months after surgery was performed.  There is definitely a physiologic and "psychological" (body image)  adaptation process that occurs, at differing rates for every patient, for patients who undergo any type of aesthetic surgery, including breast  augmentation surgery.  Understandably, patients often experience significant emotional "ups and downs" around the time of surgery.  Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Discontinuous perception

This is the size they are going to be.  It sounds as if everyone thinks they are large except you, which leads me to believe your image of what you find acceptable is discontinuous with what the rest of the world sees.

Breast augmentation 2 months ago, will they get any bigger? = No, actually they will get a bit smaller #BA #breastimplants

After breast augmentation with implants, the breast tissue "shrinks" a little bit due to the pressure of the implants against the breast tissue and skin. A recent published study in the plastic surgery literature demonstrated that breast shrink about 15% in size several months after an augmentation with implants. Therefore, after a breast augmentation the breast very unlikely will get bigger. 

John Mesa, MD