Will I need a lift or will I be okay with just my implants? (Photo)

Hello 100lbs of weight loss took a toll on the girls that's why I'm getting saline implants when I get my breast aug but I was thinking could I just get away with getting implants I know I want between 400-500cc moderate profile but do you think I'll need a lift as well ?!

Breasts augmentation with lift

Dear Y,   Thanks for submitting your picture, though , additional side view would have been very helpful. From observing your picture, you appear to be B cup size with level 2-3 ptosis and large areolas that are located too medially.   If you were my patient, I would have refused to do only breasts augmentation with implants, because the result would have been ,most likely, worse than your present shape. The lift procedure - mini or full,  will depend on the distance of the nipples from the crease. You will, additionally,  have to have your nipples positioned more laterally, in order to create the golden triangle.    You have to realize that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.    Always, consult with experience board certified plastic surgeons who do lots of breasts augmentation with a lift in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive with nice cleavage, perky, symmetrical and natural looking. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                                 Best of luck,                                                   Dr Widder

Will I need a lift or will I be okay with just my implants

think a lift with the implants will give you a much superior result compared to a implant alone. I think the implant alone will make you fuller but leave you still pretty saggy

Julio Garcia, MD

Breast lift

You definitely need a breast lift if you have any breast surgery. Adding an implant would be even better as long as the lift is done. Implant alone would look terrible since our nipples would be on the lower edge of your newly enlarged breasts. Good luck.

Weight loss breast require lift with implants?

Hello!It does look like you would be better off with a lift in combination with augmentation.Your nipples are below the level of your breast crease indicating the benefit of elevating the nipples with a lift. Oftentimes with significant weight loss, the nipples move inward on the breast and the crease becomes less defined as well. These are issues that can also be addressed with a lift. I do think the implant would be helpful to improve fullness. Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Lift and implants

It looks like you need a lift and implants.  You have lax skin from the weight loss and would benefit from the lift.

Will I need a lift or will I be okay with just my implants?

Thank you for your question. Breast Implants plus lifting will give very good results size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

You absolutely need a lift in addition to augmentation. I would recommend submuscular augmentation combined with a full mastopexy. I would not consider anything less than that and I would never recommend placing your implants above the muscle. Best wishes.

Janet Woodyard, MD

Congratulations on your successful weight loss. You will benefit from breast lifting plus/minus breast augmentation surgery. You will not do well with breast augmentation surgery alone. You will do best by seeking consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and communicate your goals clearly. 

Generally speaking, patients who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery should understand that this combination surgery is significantly more complex than either one of the procedures done separately. In other words, the combination breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery differs from breast augmentation surgery alone in that it carries increased risk compared to either breast augmentation or mastopexy surgery performed separately. Furthermore, the potential need for revisionary surgery is increased with breast augmentation / mastopexy surgery done at the same time. This revisionary rate may be as high (or higher) than 20%. 

Personally, I find that the breast augmentation/lifting procedure to be one of the most challenging of the breast operations I perform, even compared to somewhat complex revisionary breast surgery. On the one hand, when performing breast augmentation/lifting surgery we are increasing the breast size with breast implants; on the other hand, we are reducing the breast “envelope” in order to achieve the breast lift. These two “forces” must be balanced as perfectly as possible in order to achieve the desired results. Removing too much skin/ breast tissue is problematic; removing too little breast skin/tissue can also be problematic. Remember also that patients presenting for breast lifting surgery and general have lost some skin elasticity/thickness making potential incision line healing problems and/or recurrent drooping/sagging important concerns to communicate. 

To achieve a surgical result where the breast implant and breast tissue “come together” and behave like a single breast is one of my goals but can be difficult to achieve. Essentially, we are trying to create a breast implant/breast tissue interface that feels and behaves as naturally ( as a single unit) as possible. Generally speaking, making sure that the breast implant has some sub muscular and some sub glandular component ( dual plane) and tailoring the overlying skin/subcutaneous tissue/breast tissue as precisely as possible over the underlying breast implant is key.

Despite these efforts, breast implants are after all a foreign body that don't necessarily stay where we wish they would; therefore, breast implant related problems such as positioning ( too high, too low, lateral displacement etc.) can occur and may be a reason for returning to the operating room for revisionary breast surgery. I use a “tailor tacking” technique that allows a determination of what breast implant should be used to SAFELY produce the results the patient is looking for. This technique involves use of a temporary sizer and temporary “closure” of the overlying breast skin over the sizer. The use of the tailor tacking technique is very helpful. Breast lifting involves removal of skin ( and tightening of the breast skin envelope) while breast augmentation involves expansion of the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Again, despite these efforts, breast implant and/or tissue/skin complications may arise causing minor or significant complications. 

Generally speaking, it is difficult to achieve the “perfect” result with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, despite best efforts. Patients should be aware of the complexity of this combination procedure, achieve REALISTIC EXPECTATIONS prior to proceeding, and understand that additional surgery ( along with the additional recovery time, stress, expenses etc) may be necessary in the short or long-term. Patients should understand that the results of the procedure will not necessarily match aesthetically the results of patients who have undergone breast augmentation surgery only. For example, some patients who wish to maintain long-term superior pole volume/"roundness" or "implanted look" may find that this result is not achieved after the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. An additional operation, possibly involving capsulorrhaphy, may be necessary to achieve the patient's longer-term goals ( with superior pole volume/roundness). It is helpful if patients understand that this breast implant capsule used to provide the support for the breast implant is not present during the initial breast augmentation/lifting operation. The capsule (layer of scar tissue) forms around the breast implant and may be a good source of supportive tissue during revisionary breast surgery, Including correction of breast implant displacement/malposition problems ( such as bottoming out, symmastia, lateral displacement etc). 

Potential risks associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery include infection, bleeding, incision line healing problems, loss/change of nipple/areola complex sensation, and blood flow related issues to causing skin or tissue necrosis. Poor scarring, pigment changes, areola/nipple asymmetry etc. are also potential problems. Again, patients may experience implant related problems such as encapsulation, leakage, displacement problems ( too high, bottoming out, lateral displacement, asymmetric positioning etc.), rippling/palpability of breast implants etc. Patients may also be dissatisfied with breast size, shape, and/or how the breast implants and overlying breast tissues “interface” with one another. Occasionally, a breast implant may even have to be removed and the patient will generally be “implant free” for several months at least. Obviously, this situation can be quite physically, emotionally, and psychosocially stressful to the patient involved.

Having discussed some of the downsides and potential risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery, most patients (If properly selected and who are doing the operations at the right time of their lives psychosocially) accept the scars associated with breast augmentation/breast lifting surgery as long as they are happy with the improvement in contour, size, and symmetry.
I hope that this summary of SOME of the issues surrounding breast augmentation/lifting surgery is helpful to you and other women considering this procedure in the future.  The attached link may also be helpful. Best wishes.

Lift or not ?

You breasts have considerable droop from  the massive weight loss.  While there is no requirement  that says you have to have a breast lift , I would be concerned that without lifting the breasts ( with implant agumentation of course)  then you would have large drooping breasts .  Never the less you will have more to work with in a bra and clothing even without a lift so in the end the decision to lift or not depends on your goals, tolerance of the scars needed to lift the breast ,  recovery and operating time , and of course finances.
Best Wishes
James E Vogel, MD

James Vogel, MD

Breast lift with augmentation

Thank you for your question. From your photos and desired results, it looks like you would be best served with a combination of breast lift with augmentation.  The parameters of both the breast lift and the position of the breast implants should be designed to keep the implants relatively low while lifting the breast tissue and nipple to sit directly over the implants.  A breast lift reduces the skin envelope while reshaping the breast tissue into a more youthful and perky shape. Implants are added for more volume. Many techniques exist in breast surgery, and combined lifting with augmentation is especially tricky.  The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best plan for the individual.