Is general anesthetic safe? I am terrified!

I put a down payment to get the tops of my ears fixed it will be a few months before I pay it off, I picked an amazing surgeon I met through this site that I am completely comfortable with but I was hoping it could be done with local anesthetic instead of general I have never gone under and I am terrified, I usually like to be in control of my body so I guess I'm terrified to let go and then upon waking up I'm dreading that I may feel nauseous! Is going under that bad?!

Otoplasty. General anesthesia vs Local anesthesia

Hi. We only perform an otoplasty under general anesthesia on patients under 15 years or in case a patient specially ask for a general anesthesia.  A local anesthesia is safer than a general anesthesia. Nevertheless, the general anesthesia is very safe too, only that the costs for the surgery will increase significantly. I recommend you to let your plastic surgeon know about your concerns and I am sure He/she will be able to give you more information.

Hope this was helpful.

General anesthesia

General anesthesia is usually well tolerated in a healthy patient. I would review your concerns with your surgeon and make sure you have an up to date history and  physical so you can review any potential health concerns. I would also review with your physician if you have any family members who have had difficulty undergoing general anesthesia. These are important questions to review before surgery. As with anything, proper planning is the key to a successful surgery, this includes the anesthesia administration. Best of luck!

Gina Chu, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon

otoplasty procedure

In our practice, we perform most otoplasty procedures under local anesthesia, not general anesthesia unless the patient specifically requests it.  This also saves the patient a significant amount of money, because the board certified physician anesthesiologist is not necessary.  For more information and many examples, please see the link and the video below

General Anesthesia is one of the safest medical procedures

In adults otoplasty can be performed under any type of anesthesia, between pure local to sedation to general. It's a patient's and doctor preference, and should be discussed before surgery. General anesthesia in a healthy individual is a very safe procedure, being uneventful almost always.

Javier Galindo, MD
Spain Facial Plastic Surgeon

Anesthesia Safety

Anesthesia techniques are very safe in the modern era.  For the healthy patient, sedation is as "safe" as local anesthesia, and general anesthesia in the right hands is very safe. I would discuss these concerns with your Surgeon for reassurance and anxiety relieving solutions such as perioperative valium.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Otoplasty

I have done over 100 patients for otoplasty under local anesthesia last year. It could be done under general anesthesia. the risk is extremely low. Good luck

Gaby D. Doumit, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon