Full tummy tuck or extended tummy tuck? (Photo)

Hello Doctors, after extreme weight loss I really want a tummy tuck my question is would I benefit more from a full tummy tuck or an extended tummy tuck. I am asking because it was recommended I get an extended tummy tuck but I'm not sure why. Thanks for reading and thank you for your replies in advance !

Full tummy tuck or extended tummy tuck?

The decision to perform an extended tummy tuck depends on whether or not you want to remove loose skin from the hip area or beyond. A tummy tuck treats strictly the tummy area in the front. If the loose skin extends further, than an extended tummy tuck or lower body lift is a better option. You may want to consider another consultation as a second opinion. Best of luck.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour. Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Perfect procedure for you

You have already a great figure, very curvaceous, but the saggy skin is hanging on the abdomen, laterally and also on top of your buttocks creating a bulge on top of them. You have to acknowledge that the significant degree of saggy skin on the 3 areas make you a perfect candidate for a Lower Body Lift which is a Circumferential Tummy Tuck to eliminate the saggy skin and also to LIFT the pubic area, a bit of the outer thigh and specially to enhance and tighten the buttocks. In combination with the above procedures I would do a tight muscle repair to create a flat abdomen and very nice smaller waist and a bit of liposuction to waist and lovehandle.Be encouraged!!! the incision is easily covered under a bikini, but the saggy skin, only under a girdle. Dr. Cardenas

Tummy Tuck - Which one ?

Hi ydavis94I think a standard abdominoplasty with muscle plication and liposuction will do.  I do hate the term tummy-tuck as I think it trivialises the surgery.  The surgery you will be undergoing is major surgery and you will be in pain afterwards !I think you will get an excellent result - my only concern would be your risk of developing keloid scars looking at the scars on your abdomen.  Post-surgery scar management will be vital - discuss this with your PS

Frank Conroy, MBChB, MRCS, FRCS(Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

What Type of Tummy Tuck?

A variety of tummy tucks are available. Patients who only need a tightening of the abdominal muscles or removal of a small amount of skin may be best treated with a “mini-tuck.” Patients who have undergone massive weight loss, on the other hand, will probably require more extensive surgery. An abdominoplasty is usually done under general anesthesia. An incision is made along the lower abdomen at about the pubic hair line, and another incision is made around the belly button which stays attached to the muscle. Mini-abdominoplasty tightens the lower abdominal wall and skin below the umbilicus, belly button, only (shortest scar). Modified abdominoplasty addresses conditions where just the muscle wall or just the abdominal skin requires repair. Standard abdominoplasty tightens all of the abdominal wall skin and muscles above and below the belly button. The scar can be altered or lowered to be hidden by most panty lines and bathing suits. (Standard scar). Extended abdominoplasty tightens the abdomen and the flanks or sides (longest scar extending around the flanks onto lower back.) A general anesthetic is most common, although mini-tucks may be done with local anesthetic and intravenous sedation. A standard abdominoplasty is generally an outpatient procedure, but extended abdominoplasty may require a short hospitalization of 1–2 days.With all of these different types of procedures available, and if you are not necessarily in agreement with your need for an extended tummy tuck, you may want to find another plastic surgeon for a second consultation to make sure that all of your options are being considered for meeting your desired final results. You definitely may not be in need of the extended procedure and could go through with something much more simple and still be able to gain your desired results. Best of luck!

Abdominal Contouring

Based on your photos, an extended tummy tuck will likely give you the best results as it will also address the skin excess in the back. And I would also plan for liposuction as well. Best wishes.

Full tummy tuck for best results !

Thank you for your question and photographs.  Based on your pictures you are most likely a
candidate for a full “tummy tuck”. The way we correct the rectus diastasis or
“pooch” it's by plicating war sewing the muscles back together into the midline
after being displaced laterally after pregnancy.  The corrected the skin laxity that you had I
would recommend not pursuing a mini- tummy tuck, as you can imagine keeping the
eschar centrally located would not allow you to remove all the skin elasticity
that you need for a good result. 
Liposuction is not a good idea in your specific case, as this will only
worsen the amount of stretched skin, and usually tightening of the muscles
underneath is not perform during this procedure.

It is best to discuss your concerns with a bore certify
plastic surgeon were he can perform an examination and give you a better idea
of the potential outcome while sharing your goals with this surgery.  Using pictures will give us an “idea” of your
problem however this not replace a physical examination.  My advice to you is to do your homework, find
someone who is board certified, look at before and after pictures, discuss your
goals and ask for a scar regimen after your surgery to improve the quality of
the scar.

Best of Luck !

Tummy tuck

A standard tummy tuck with a low scar should be ideal for you.An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon is recommended to discuss your options and expectations.

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

After Weight Loss

After massive weight loss the procedures to remove excess skin and fat should be customized to the look that the patient wants to achieve. Using terms like extended tummy tuck are not helpful because the is no standard meaning to that term. The Dr should explain what can be done and what the results will look like. You are not expected to know the differences between these two procedures. A full explanation can be obtained through a consultation with a plastic surgeon who can explain all your options to you.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon