Are drains necessary after Lipo/BBL?

Just wondering if drains are necessary. I read a review that a girl bled a lot and was filling pads after bbl. Are the drains used to drain fluids?

BBL and lipo

I do not routinely drain patients after lipo or a BBL. Each surgeon is a bit different and may use different techniques or equipment.

No Drains with Liposuction

No Drains with Liposuction
I have never used drains in liposuction as there is really no reason for these with good technique and a compression garment placed immediately after surgery. With compression and good lymphatic massage treatments the body reabsorbs fluid without seromas.

Drains after surgery

Drains are not needed after lipo, BBLs, or even the newer tummy tucks. Thirty years ago when lipo was new, we used to drain every incision. But more and more drains are falling out of favor for many reasons. Pain, infection and patient miscues are the norm worth drains. See a board certified plastic surgeon who does a ton of lipo at a. Rectified facility and you'll be in good hands. All surgeries carry risks, and bleeding is one of them, but are you sure ( in th case of the bleed you mention) that it was blood, not just diluted Saline solution! That's what is used, and when it comes out it looks like blood, but it often isn't. 

Ayman Hakki, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

Are drains necessary after Lipo/BBL?

Hi... thank you for the question, that will depend on your PS technique, in my practice i do not leave drains after a Liposuction and BBL... 

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Surgeon Dependent

Drains are placed to remove fluid. This fluid will be removed from your system by your own body. It is surgeon preference and techniques used. Having drainage from the incision sites is sometimes a good thing as some leave the incisions open to have the drainage of fluid come out in first couple days. 

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Are drains necessary after Lipo/BBL?

This is surgeon dependent. Some use drain and some do not. It also depends on what is done, fat grafting vs implants.

STephen M. Dvais, MD FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Drains

Thank you for contacting Realself with your question. No drains are usually required for this procedure.