Can I get a breast lift without implants during my mommy make over ? (photos)

Hello doctors ! I am planning on having a MMO but the more I consider it the more I'm leaning toward no wanting implants. My question is will I be able to get a breast lift and keep my natural volume or do I really have to get lifted and implanted ?!

You can have a lift without implants!

I see patients all the time that truly believe they have to have a breast implant with their lift. Bottom line, if you are happy with your volume in a sports bra or with your breast taped up into place, then you don't need an implant. The volume of skin removed is negligible. If however, you tape up your breasts to the right position and they look small then you need implants. Implants are great. I have implants, but if you don't want to be any bigger then why add the expense and potential maintenance? Remember the heavier the breast the more it descends over time.  Different surgeons will have different opinions, but it's your body.  I hope this helps! 

Can I get a breast lift without implants during my mommy make over ?

Yes, assuming you will be happy with breast size/shape without breast implants, breast lifting alone can certainly be performed.  Best to communicate your goals carefully with your plastic surgeon. I find the use of goal photographs and computer imaging very helpful during this communication process. Working together you and your plastic surgeon will come up with a good plan. Best wishes.

Lift with or without implants

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift with augmentation such as silicone implants, you will get very nice results.

Patients who goes to a consultation for drooping breasts (ptosis) or volume loss after pregnancy (pseudoptosis) almost always have one very important question. "Can my drooping be corrected with just implants or do I need a lift".

Implants alone will correct drooping when:

1. Breast drooping is mild
  2. The nipple is still near the center breast and does not point downward
  3. There is some visible skin beneath the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is okay with being at least a cup size larger

A breast lift (with or without an implant) is better when:

1. Breast drooping is moderate or severe
  2. The nipple is at the bottom of the breast or points downward
  3. There is no visible skin under the nipple/areola when looking at the breasts straight on.
  4. The patient is already a C or D cup breast size and doesn't want to be larger
  5. The areola is too large and the patient wants it reduced

I also show the patient photographs of a spectrum of breast scar present after a breast lift in order to check their tolerance for this scar. Most patients are surprised how little the scar shows and are okay with proceeding. If the patient really needs a breast lift, but is concerned about the scars, I will suggest they wait on surgery. In time the breast appearance problems will usually outweigh their concern about the scars.

I use implants in combination with a lift when:

1. The patient wants to be larger in addition to being less droopy
  2. The patient desires to maintain projection and roundness of the breast mound
  3. The drooping is severe..... I recommend to see a board certified plastic surgeon for a personal evaluation and also to talk about your goals.

I recommend to make an appointment with a board certified surgeon for an evaluation and to talk abuot what kind of lift do you need and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

thank you for your question and your photo.

you can have a breast lift without a problem, but i suggest you to place the implants so that your breast have a more contoured shape.

best of luck,

Dr.Derby Sang Caputo

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Mommy makeover with breast lift

Thank you for your question and photos! You can absolutely have a breast lift without implants and it all depends on whether you are currently happy with the breast tissue you have, if lifted and shaped properly. However, if you are looking to increase the size as well as lift, then implants would be necessary. You can certainly discuss this with your doctor. If you're happy with how you fill out your clothes in a non-padded bra, then the lift may be all you need.

Good luck with your surgery!

Deborah Pan, MD
New Haven Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with mommy make-ver

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• You can certainly have a breast lift without having implants.
  • Implants are only placed if the woman wants larger breasts -
  • If you are happy with your breast volume, then let your surgeon know you are only interested in a lift.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Breast Augmentation - Need a lift?

Thank you for your question and photos. It looks like a lift will be required in addition to placement of breast implants. I do not think you will achieve a satisfactory result with either augmentation or a lift alone. It is best to have an in-person consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. Ask to see a lot of before and after photos of their work. Hope this helps and good luck!

Breast lift without implants

Absolutely! If you are happy with your breast size/volume and are just looking for a perkier version of you then having a breast lift alone with your mommy makeover is the way to go. If however you are looking to be any fuller or maintain a round upper breast appearance then you will require an implant. Another natural option for you to consider is fat grafting or fat transfer with your breast lift. You will likely be including liposuction with your procedures, so this fat can be used for an auto augmentation to help supplement shape and volume without using an implant. 

Jennifer Geoghegan, MD

Find the right surgeon and let your surgeon help you decide

Far more important than the technique is the skill and experience of your plastic surgeon. Choose your surgeon rather than the technique and let them explain why one technique may be better than another.  See the below link on some suggestions on finding the most qualified Plastic Surgeon for a consult.

Let your surgeon decide with you about if it is safe or not for you to undergo surgery. 

Implants or no for MMO

Hello! You can definitely get a breastlift without implants, but if you do not get implants, you will not gain fullness or upper chest volume. Often with a breastlift your breast will decrease in size about 1/2 cup bra size. In your case implants will improve fullness, particularly in the upper portion of the breast. You can always decide to have implants placed at a later time, but this will decrease efficiency and add cost to the overall procedure if you stage the breast surgery.

Good luck!

Michele A. Shermak, MD