Upper Eyelid Lift Surgery?

My husband had catarac surgery in july and had implants put in. His vision was great but he had one eye that was little lower in seeing than other so we had dr. correct that. It went fine. Then he said that my husband should have eyelid surgery with sling because he had droopy eye and this would really improve his sight. So he did and also at same time Dr. lifted the other eyelid by muscle surgery. Well long story short the good eye now has double vision and blurry Dr. said shape of cornea chang

Doctor Answers 5

Updated Refraction after Ptosis Surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

   Sometimes the refraction changes after ptosis repair, and this can lead to the blurry one eye problem described.

Double vision after eyelid surgery

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It is difficult to answer your question without examination. There are various causes of monocular or binocular diplopia (double vision). You should see an ophthalmologist or oculoplastic specialist. 

True double vision?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Its important to know whether your husband as true double vision or just a ghosting or blurring of images. The two are often confused. If your husband as double vision which goes away when one eye is covered, then there is a problem with alignment between the two eyes.

If the "double vision" doesn't go away when one eye is closed, then the open eye has some refractive issues. Cornea or the lens are usually the culprit in these cases. Since you are saying that the "good eye" has "double vision and blurry", it seems that the second scenario is most likely the case. The shape of the cornea CAN change after ptosis surgery, in which case new glasses would be in order.

Discuss these issues with your surgeon [sounds like he's an Ophthalmologist/ Oculoplastics surgeon?]

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

Upper Eyelid Lift Surgery?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

This can be a very challenging problem. The best physician to tackle a revision procedure such as that your husband requires is an oculoplastic specialist. It would be helpful to get a second opinion to assess all of your options but it sounds like he might require a revision surgery. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Correction of Eyelid Ptosis??

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 Correction of Eyelid Ptosis or the Lazy Upper Eyelid can be difficult in some patients. Sometimes more than one procedure is required. It never hurts to get copy’s of all your operative reports and seek out a second option from another Occulo-Plastic Surgeon in your area. Hopefully, time will improve your husbands condition. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.