Is it worth it to just get lipo and not a tummy tuck as well (3 pregnancies no C-section)?

I want to get lipo in my upper, lower abd, flanks and inner thighs. I have been told by a local plastic surgeon to just get the tummy tuck/lipo combo because ill just end up back in a year to get the tummy tuck....ive had 3 children no C-section so have loose skin no panus. I am afraid of a tummy tuck because its major abdominal surgery. What do you suggest? Also, how long after lipo until I can get back to vigorous exercise?

Tummy tuck

You won’t be able to get rid of that loose skin with liposuction, and its presence can become more apparent with reduced fat deposits. However, if you understand this, then it is your choice on whether to proceed with liposuction without the tummy tuck.

You’ll need to wait about a month before returning to vigorous activity, like strength training. Please follow the guidelines on exercise you receive from your surgeon.

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Based on the information provided a tummy tuck would give you the result you are looking for. Liposuction alone will remove the fat but would only worsen the sagginess of your skin. With 3 pregnancies your muscles will likely need to be tightened (plicated) as well. A tummy tuck with liposuction will allow your physician to properly tighten your abdomen and give you the toned and flat look of your abdomen and flanks. Be sure to consult a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss all your options. Best of luck. James Lee

James Lee, MD
Montreal Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. This is the surgical procedure that revolutionized cosmetic surgery becoming one of the most performed cosmetic procedures. Subcutaneous tissue or fat is removed in order to contour the body in a way that is harmonious and pleasing to the senses. It can be performed in almost all regions of the body such as the neck, chin, abdomen, back, buttocks, thighs, arms and ankles. Usually done through a small incision in the skin through which a cannula connected to a vacuum is applied, it can be performed alone or in combination with other procedures. After liposuction your body is going to be really swollen for at least 2 to 4 months after your surgery. It is important for you to wear your compression garment for at least 6 months, the first 3 months 24/7 and then the last 3 months at least 12 hours per day for your body get use to not having the faja for so many time. When you remove it, your body can get swollen and also you can have pain. Remember to also compress your body to prevent a seroma which is an accumulation of liquid that has to be drained, it is hard to touch and also really painful. Bruises are completely normal for almost 3 months from surgery, that’s why is better for you to use a bruising cream and apply it all over your body 3 times a day. To prevent bad circulation and swollen legs, use compression socks. Brazilian butt lift can be performed with the same procedure and for a month it will be swollen and it will drop a little bit without losing it’s shape if you use your garment.. If you’re going to perform liposuction on your inner, outer, anterior, lateral, postetior thighs, be careful and consult with your surgeon what’s best for you, sometimes we have more extra skin than fat, that can cause severe sagginess on our legs, which can be only be reversed performing a thigh lift…

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Lipo vs. Tummy tuck

There are 2 major options for abdominal contouring and you have hit on them: tummy tuck or liposuction. Tummy tuck is comprehensive, addressing lax muscles and skin. Liposuction thins tissues without addressing muscles or skin removal. I have patients who avoid Tummy Tuck because of the scars and recovery involved. There is nothing wrong with going with Liposuction as long as you understand what you will (and will not) gain with Lipo alone. I have been quite impressed with Lipo only results in patients with whom I discussed Tummy Tuck. You may want to seek a second opinion just to be sure. plasticsurgery.com lists all board certified plastic surgeons.

Michele A. Shermak, MD

Tummy tuck or lipiduction

Your plastic surgeon has given you excellent advice - 
But you do not need to take it - have the liposuction if you insist....but plan on having a tummy tuck six months later.

Liposuction  is likely to not get rid of the tummy bulge and to leave you with loose skin.

Best wishes

Loose skin

While you can have liposuction if you have subcutaneous fat, it will not treat the loose skin. You will probably be better off with a tummy tuck, but an exam is essential to determine this.

Advice

Hello and thank you for your question. To give you accurate advice, I highly recommend an in-person consultation.  In many patients who have had children and loose skin, a tummy tuck with liposuction can provide the best result.  In the appropriate patient, a tummy tuck can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon 

Richard G. Reish, MD