Upper and Lower Eye Surgery for Puffy Eyes? (photo)

Hello doctor, am 26 years old , i've been suffering from upper and lower puffy eyes , i dont know the reasons , first i thought it from fatty food , i quit eating any , then it start over again , really it upset me in the morning before going to work , how i can remove it , because people keep asking me why your eyes look like that ? are you sick , or cried , i am fed up and i dont know it the surgery will be good for me , the recovery and does it leave any marks , 3 months ago i did the lasik

Doctor Answers 8

Upper and Lower Eye Surgery for Puffy Eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

 This is a very dark photo but from what i can see aesthetically the upper eyelids have excess skin and there is fat bags of the lower eyelids.  Lower eyelid swelling resolves by about 2 PM, so what's left are fat bags..not swelling in most cases.  This should be consistent every day.  Drastic changes may indicate an allergic reaction and you would need a consultation with an experienced plastic and cosmetic surgeon to be evaluated for possible eyelid surgery.  Hope this helps.

Upper and Lower Eye Surgery for Puffy Eyes?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Assuming that your concerns relate to excess skin and fat in the upper and lower eyelids as opposed to a medical issue, then blepharoplasty or an "eyelid tuck" will be effective to improve the appearance of your eyelids. An in-person consultation will provide you with all of the information you need to make a decision about how to proceed. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Swollen eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Surgery alone is definitely not the answer because this is generalized swelling. You need to be tested for allergies etc.

My response to your question/post does not represent formal medical advice or constitute a doctor patient relationship. You need to consult with i.e. personally see a board certified plastic surgeon in order to receive a formal evaluation and develop a doctor patient relationship.

Aaron Stone, MD
Los Angeles Plastic Surgeon

Upper and Lower Eye Surgery for Puffy Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

The photo was difficult to view, however, nothing substitutes a good examination.  Given your concerns, it is best to get a consultation from an Oculoplastic surgeon to evaluate for any underlying medical problems and see if surgery is your best route.  Good luck.

Sam Goldberger, MD
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

Puffy eyes in a 26 year old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Upper and lower eyelid surgery is very effective at reducing the puffy appearance or extra skin around the eyes.  I agree with the other post, get checked by your doctor and make sure you are not missing a background disease process that can affect the eyes, like thyroid problems, before having surgery.  After any medical issues have been ruled out,  look for a reputable surgeon, oculoplastic or plastic surgeon, in your area.

Farzad R. Nahai, MD
Atlanta Plastic Surgeon

Puffy Eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Upper and lower puffy eyelids can be addressed with blepharoplasty surgery.  Please consult with a board certified specialist who can properly evaluate you and assist you in achieving the results you seek.

Kimberly Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Not normal for a 26 year old

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

That fullness of the eyelids is not normal. There may be some underlying medical problem that needs to be diagnosed.  You need to be evaluated by someone experienced in medical diseases of the eyelids and orbit. That would be an oculoplastic surgeon. You can find one in your area through the ASOPRS.org site.

Puffy eyelids

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

puffy upper and lower eyelids can usually be corrected by blepharoplasties (eyelid lifts).  The cause of your puffiness can be due to a number of reasons.  You should consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to evaluate you and discuss you goals and options.

Todd C. Case, MD
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.