Is Sculptra the answer to smooth out irregularities from excising corrugator muscle? (Photos)

During browlift surgery doctor excised corrugator muscle causing irregular contours. Doctor recommended massaging at 3 months postop to no avail. Doctor will not say it is permanent but now at 6 months he recommends Sculptra. Will Sculptra be able to even out such a large area? Will it appear smooth and normal? Will I need Sculptra every 2 years for the rest of my life? Is it possible it could still smooth out on its own? Will Sculptra cause more irregularities? Is there any other ideas?

Botox and Forehead

Botox can be used to soften the glabella, fillers like HA fillers (juvederm, belotero, restylane etc) can be used in this area as well. Sculptra typically is not injected here.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Filler for more lasting results

Dear janetbaker:  I am so sorry to hear of your troubles. Because of the higher tendency toward nodules, I no longer use Sculptra in the forehead. You might consider a more long-lasting filler, #Bellafill. In a clinical study, it was still fully present 5 years after treatment.  All the best,  Dr Clark

Sheryl D. Clark, MD

Sculptra for smoothing

I am sorry for your situation. I do not think Sculptra is the best option for this situation, but without seeing you it is very hard to tell. I usually fix contour irregularities with either fat transfer, or fillers. Bellafill is a good filler as it's longer lasting and the collagen build up on it own. It's best to go see another cosmetic surgeon who can examine you and give you options. All the best,Andre Berger, MD

Andre Berger, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Forehead Irrregularities

Hello,Although Sculptra won't cause more irregularities if injected by an expert, it is not the best solution. Sculptra takes 10 weeks to see results, making it hard to titrate what is necessary to achieve smoothness.  Your best bet is a hyaluronic acid gel like Juvederm or Restylane.  You'll see what you get immediately and it is reversible.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Excised corregators?

I still see the corrugators. This will not get better without filler. Unless this is free treatment, I would go elsewhere. I'm not sure if the ability of this surgeon. I think Bellafill is a better solution for its longevity but this is not a place routinely injected with any filler. You need a very experienced filler injector for this. Let them decide the product. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Skin irregularity after excising corrugator muscle

Sorry to hear about your problem after surgery.  I can't make specific recommendations for you without seeing you.  However, I do often treat patients with skin depressions or indentations.  Usually this is from acne scars but it can be due to other causes such as surgery.  I commonly perform subcision to release a scar and raise it up to a more natural level.  Subcision can be done with a sharp needle or sometimes even with a blunt cannula.  Fillers can also be used to fill in the area of an indentation.  Most commonly I would use an HA filler such as Restylane Lyft and I will often inject the filler using a cannula instead of a needle.  If you are not sure how to proceed, I would recommend that you see another doctor for a second opinion.Regards,Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon