Do I also need a breast lift with my breast augmentation? (Photo)

I've been to 2 different consultations and one ps said I was borderline and did not need a breast lift. The second ps told me I would need one because if I got implants without it my nipples would point to down.

Do you need a lift

I agree with the surgeon recommending the lift.  It will give you a nicer shape and can reduce the size of your areolae as well.  I would perform the lollipop type lift with an implant u dear the muscle.

Breast Augment and Lift

Thank you for your question.  To achieve a better result, I would recommend having the breast augmentation with a lift.  Without doing the lift, the nipple position will not change.  A Breast augmentation only makes the breast larger where they sit now.  Talk with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon further about your concerns.  Good Luck.

BBA/ Lift

Thank you for your question and photo. The position of your nipples may mean that you require a lift in order to achieve results that meet your goals. I recommend that you discuss this in person with a board certified Plastic Surgeon. They will examine and measure you, discuss your expectations and let you know what they recommend for you.

All the best

Breast augmentation with a lift

By looking at your pictures I believe you would be an excellent candidate for an augmentation and a lift. This will give you a very nice result that will last long and will lift your nipple position so your breast look more youthful. 

Breast augmentation

A breast augmentation will add volume to your breast.  Without a lift you will have the same shape you have now only larger.

John Burns, MD

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question.  Based on your picture you appear to be a good candidate for a breast lift with augmentation to produce beautiful overall results.  Schedule a consultation with a board certifie dplastic surgeon to discuss your options, address your concerns and work together tocreate the surgical plan that will best help you to achieve your overall desired goals.

With kind regards,
Lane F. Smith, M.D., F.A.A.C.S., F.A.O.H.N.S., F.A.B.F.P.R.S.

Lane Smith, MD

Breast lift with implants would be best

Hello and thanks for reaching out to us! Based on your photo, I think you would benefit most from a breast lift with implants. When I discuss with my patients about breast lifting techniques and also use of implants, I break down the different topics into parts.

The easy way to decipher what each procedure produces is that implants increase breast volume and add upper pole fullness. Implants are placed in either a subglandular or subpectoral pocket centered over the left and right chest breast footprint. In your case, because your skin appears thin, I would recommend subpectoral placement. When you have ptosis/sagging, where the nipple-areola complex is at the fold or lower, your breast will continue to hang off of your chest onto your upper abdomen even after implants. In fact, in patients with such sagging who undergo an augmentation without a lift, their breast tissue hangs off of the implant that is sitting on their chest, creating a shape like Snoopy's nose, hence called a "snoopy" deformity. Implants can not give a therapeutic lift and taking shortcuts will only lead to suboptimal results. In some borderline cases of ptosis, breast augmentation can be performed and if there is unsatisfactory sagging, then a lift can be performed later at a second stage, but in your case, an in person examination will be most instrumental in going over your lifting options in conjunction with implants.

Two lifting techniques that are very good ones in the right patient and I use are based on the following:
1) if it is mainly the nipple position that needs lifting, I like the circumareolar approach (also called a donut lift)
2) if a large portion of the breast tissue/weight needs to be lifted, a circumvertical (also called lollipop) and sometimes a full anchor incision is needed as the circumareolar approach in my mind is not strong enough to hold the weight of the breast and results in stretching of the areola and drooping over time.

I hope this helps you!

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Thank you for the question and you would clearly benefit from a lift at the time of your augmentation.  So see more experts in your area till you find the surgeon you like.

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Do I also need a breast lift with my breast augmentation?

You have constricted or tubular breasts with narrow-based breasts, a wide distance between them, and large areolae that are low on the breast and down-pointing. If you only had implants placed, your nipples would look even lower as they would be far below the "equator" of the implant and the lower breast would probably not be well filled-out by the implants. You would benefit from a breast lift to elevate your nipple position, reduce your breast overhang, reduce your areolar size, and reshape your breasts in addition to the reshaping that the implant will provide. If you are unsure, you could always have the implant augmentation first and see what your result is like and have a breast lift later if you desire, but I would be surprised if you did not proceed to a breast lift.

Augmentation Mastopexy

You absolutely need a lift in addition to your breast augmentation. You have ptosis and a short nipple to crease distance. Please! Visit only ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in complex breast surgery!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS