Best laser for all black, professional tattoo removal? (photos)

I have an all black, professional tattoo that was done almost 6 months ago. I am considering having it removed. If I do, what laser would work best, and what is your best guess on how many sessions it would take to remove fully or almost fully?

Tattoo Removal

You would be a great candidate for the Alex Trivantage laser. This laser is the only one on the market that can target colors.  The multiple wave lengths can target all the colors in the tattoo with 4-6 sessions.  You should contact a board certified dermatologist as soon as possible.
  •  Tweet

Tattoo Removal

Tattoo removal can take several treatments depending on color, location and size of the tattoo. Black ink is the easiest of the colors to remove, which is great in your case. A Q-switched laser works very well for tattoo removal. To be sure what is best for you, see two or more board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

The PicoSure from Cynosure and the QX-Max Laser from Fotona work the best for me in removing black tattoos.

Black is the easiest color to remove.  The New PicoSecond lasers such as the PicoSure, Enlighten, PicoWay and very powerful QX Max Q-Switched laser are  probably the best and the fastest for removing this type of tattoo.  The process can be accelerated by doing multiple treatments on the same day or by adding a fractional ablative laser (making small holes in the skin overlying the tattoo)  on the same day before treatment with the tattoo laser.  

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Q switched ND Yag - TATT X

In our practice we use the TATT-X machine that is a q switched nd yag laser at 1064 nm.  This is a new technology from Germany that is a bit less painful than conventional lasers.  It would take at least 1 year at 1 month intervals to remove the tattoo.