How Many Units for Aesthetic Jaw Botox?

I have been recommended jaw botox to reduce my chronic pain. I am also pleased to hear it will reduce the size of my jaw muscles aesthetically, but I would like to know how much would usually be administered for an aesthetic effect?

Botox or Dysport for large jaw muscles (masseter)

I also tend to use 25 units of Botox per masseter per side (50 total). I tend to use about 60 unites of Dysport per side.

Botox and Dysport for jaw slimming

Thank you for your question. Botox or Dysport can be a very effective way to contour the jaw line by reducing the masseter shadow through the outer jaw skin. In addition, it can reduce symptoms of jaw clenching or grinding of teeth at night time. This is an advanced technique that requires a strong understanding of the underlying anatomy. Some side effects can results in some very unintented effects. This can include affecting the smile due to diffusion of the Botox into neighboring smile muscles. Over treatment can also overweaken your jaw muscles making it harder to chew food and causes your jaw muscles to relax too much when you sleep.
The injection technique does vary by physical exam and the goals of the treatment. Facial contouring goals may change the injection sites themselves to affect different portions of the masseter as well as the dose. The strength of the masseters can be felt by palpation and also helps me to determine dosing. In general, I start with 15- 25 units of Botox (OR 50-75 units of Dysport) per side for most patients. If they have very strong masseters, then I may increase the dose, but more commonly ask them to return in three weeks for a touch up. Once you get the desired result, I let patients know that future treatments may require less to maintain the look or the jaw clenching symptoms, especially if they get treated as soon as they notice the symptoms return. This can be as soon as three to four months, but in some cases, patients report that it lasts six months or more. I find it depends on the dose we use and how many times we have done the procedure as the duration may lengthen for patients that repeat it regularly.

Treating the jaw or masseter muscle with botox

I typically use anywhere from 20-25 units per side. Its rare you need much more than this. 

James P. Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Head and Neck Surgery
practicing in Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Assistant Professor, University of Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

James Bonaparte, MD, MSc, FRCSC
Ottawa Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox may reduce masseter muscle mass in cheek

Your photo shows fat depression in the outer cheek. Before you try to reduce the mass of the chewing muscle, you should get another opinion as fillers may help raise the depressions in the outer cheek making a smoother and more harmonious contour.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Jaw reduction with Botox

If there is specific masseter hypertrophy, then Botox may be a good way to soften the wide jaw.  Usually I use about 20-25 units/side. But this has to be repeated every 3-4 months.