Will Voluma lift eye bag or should I get tear trough filler? If so, which filler is best under eye? (Photo)

One side eye bag bothers me, wondering if voluma can be placed to lift it or whether tear trough filling necessary. Very scared of tt so if possible would rather avoid it!

Will Voluma lift eye bag or should I get tear trough filler? = possibly, Restylane could also work #voluma #restylane #teartroug

"Lower lid bags" at young age are usually secondary to early sings of aging. As we start aging, the mid face tends to move inferiorly, enlarging the lower lid that ultimately results in a "lower lid bag". Voluma, by restoring the volume of the mid face, could help to correct this physical finding without the need of surgery.

Tear through could be also treated with soft tissue filler. In my practice, the filler that causes less swelling and less tyndall effect (blue discoloration of the skin due to filler) is Restylane.

Patients interested in soft tissue fillers treatment on the face should make a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon specialized in plastic surgery procedures of the face.

John Mesa MD
New York City (#NYC) & New Jersey (#NJ)
RealSelf Top 100 Plastic Surgeon

Voluma and Tear Trough Filler

Injecting Voluma to replace lost volume in the midface often can give enough support to help diminish the appearance of dark circles or under eye bags. I would consult a master injector familiar with pan facial rejuvenation to discuss your options. Depending on your response to treatment, a filler such as Restylane can be injected into the tear trough if necessary. Our approach is to correct the problem rather than camouflage it. A soft natural result is often achievable utilizing less product in strategic places. Best of luck!

Steven J. Pearlman, MD

Voluma & Tear Trough Area

Although I do not ever advise using Voluma under the eyes, I do find that patients who've had Voluma in their cheeks notice an improvement in the appearance of the under eye/tear trough area. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for mid cheek volume filler may or may not help tear trough and lower lid bags

Some patients who have puffiness of lower eyelids or a crease of their tear trough, note improvement when Voluma is used as a mid cheek filler. There are some patients, however, who have more of a fluid collection than a fat pad and they may get more swelling when an HA filler is used. 
I evaluate my patients in consultation and gently press on their face in different sites with my fingers to see what filler would to do adjoining areas once the area is filled. Sometimes tear troughs can look better but other times tear troughs can be accentuated by Voluma or fat injections done to their mid cheek. It is important to be evaluated in person.

The information provided in Dr. Shelton's answer is for educational purposes only and is not intended to constitute medical advice. The information provided should not be relied upon as a substitute for consultations with a qualified health professional who may be familiar with your individual medical needs

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

Voluma

Thank you for your question. It is hard to determine by photograph whether you are a good candidate for Voluma in the cheeks and or a filler for the tear trough region such as Restylane which is my preference for tear troughs. I would recommend an in person consultation with an experienced injector who will help develop a treatment plan for you to rejuvenate your eye/cheek area.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

Eye bag treatment with filler

It is somewhat difficult to determine from your photo whether Voluma in your cheeks will be the right treatment to address your eyebag issue.  I would highly recommend a consultation with a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who can examine you and determine whether you may need filler in the tear trough and or Voluma in the cheeks.

Good luck!
Dr. Quenby Erickson

Voluma for the cheek, other fillers for the tear trough

Thank you for the question. Voluma is a great product and can restore the youthful roundness of the upper cheek. It is much too thick, however, to be injected directly into the area of the tear trough. In general, I recommend the thinner/softer HA fillers for the tear trough (i.e., Belotero or Restylane). In the midface, I use Voluma or Radiesse. These treatments are frequently done together to maximize results. Best of luck and take care.

Evan Ransom, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Voluma for Eyes

I inject a great deal of Voluma and love it but it is best used for the cheek (mid-face area).  It has an added benefit of often improving the under eye area but I do not suggest Voluma directly under the eyes.  I prefer Belotero or Restylane for the under eye area.  Best, Dr. Greem