Is this scar tissue or edema? (Photo)

I had a gynecomastic surgery ( lipo + gland excision) 6 weeks back. The fat content removed was 180 cc from both sides and the glands removed were small. I continuously wore the compression garment for 5.5 weeks except for washing and bathing. I have hard lumps behind areole which soften if I massage and become hard again after sometime. Are they scar tissues. I am satisfied with the transformation but I am bit scared with the hard lumps. I have attached my photos of chest after 6 weeks

What to Expect after Gynecomastia Surgery

The areas after Gynecomastia Surgery may feel “lumpy” or irregular, and should decreases with time. Often massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. Also, the #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff. It's possible that any indentations could be addressed with fat grafting or cosmetic filler(s) if eligible.

Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified and has a great deal of experience with male breast #reduction. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your procedure. Aside from checking board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Gynecomastia

You are only 6 weeks post surgery and they will likely soften over time I would give it at least 4-6 months minimum.

Gynecomastia

Thank you for your question and photos. After 6 weeks you can still have swelling and scar tissue both. If it changes during the course of the day, then this is probably swelling. Remember, it can be 3 or 4 months before you are seeing your final result. I would recommend staying in close contact with your Plastic Surgeon until you see the results you are looking for. Best of luck.

Steven L. Robinson, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon