Abdominoplasty, is that the only option for a flat tummy?

Im 60kg and 163cm. I have a problem that even when i was 55 i felt like my tummy was never so flat. I asked a dr he said i can do abdominplasty. But i'm scared from the reviews i see. What do u recommend. He said it is not so hard and i can get up next day because i dont have alot of fat

The best way to learn about all of your options for getting a flat abdomen is to meet with some surgeons

It will be impossible for any surgeon here to give you specific advice about which options will be best for you and which goals are realistic as far as getting a flat tummy.  This is a discussion which can really only be had in person, as we have to not only discuss your goals and medical history in detail, but we have to examine you in person.  There are many reasons why a person may not have a "flat tummy," and there are often different treatment options for each of those reasons.  I can tell you that as far as overall satisfaction goes, at 97% "Worth It" right here on RealSelf (take a look for yourself!), tummy tuck is one of the highest satisfaction procedures we do, and liposuction at 91% "Worth It" is not far behind on the satisfaction curve.  There are risks to be sure, but in general, a properly qualified doctor with lots of experience in body contouring surgery can control those risks and produce very reliable results as long as the proper procedure is recommended for each patient.  My best advice at this point is to schedule some consultations with board certified plastic surgeons who do a lot of body contouring of all types, so that you can at least hear different opinions about what you would need to do to achieve the results you want.  There is no obligation to go any further than a consultation, so this shouldn't frighten you, and hopefully you will learn some information that will put your mind at ease.  In addition, although it's not clear where you are writing to us from (is "PA" Pennsylvania?) if you are in the States, it's important that you not only find surgeons who are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, but your surgeon should also voluntarily participate in the Maintenance of Certification program administered by that board. This is the best way to know that your surgeon not only has the best training and experience for the procedure, but that he or she has maintained currency in the certification requirements as opposed to practicing on a "lifetime" certificate which has only been reviewed once at the beginning of his or her career. For more information on this you can visit ABplsurg.org, ABMS.org, and certificationmatters.org .   Good luck.

Abdominoplasty

I would recommend that you meet with several plastic surgeons who are proficient in abdominal contour procedures. After reviewing pre and postop pictures and discussing the pros and cons of the surgery you will be able to determine your comfort level and decide if surgery is the best option for you.

Mark Deutsch, MD

Depends on what is causing the concern

It depends on what is causing your stomach to protrude. If your doctor said that you don’t have much fat, then the issue may be loose skin and possible separated ab muscles (diastasis recti). If this is the case, then a tummy tuck would be the most effective solution to resolve both issues at the same time. However, muscle repair does tend to prolong the recovery period. 

If you have loose skin, you may be a candidate for a tummy tuck.  It is difficult to make recommendations without pictures or an exam.  

Thank you for the question.  Good advice would require in person evaluation; unfortunately, much more information and/or photographs will be necessary for good online advice.

Generally, the tummy tuck operation involves removal of excess skin/adipose tissue of the lower abdominal wall and re approximation of the abdominal wall muscles that may have spread with pregnancies and/or weight gain/loss. Liposuctioning is often used as a tool during the procedure.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Liposuction surgery, on the other hand, refers to an operation that essentially suctions out adipose tissue. The operation does not involve any skin removal or re approximation of abdominal wall muscles. The best candidates for liposuction surgery of the abdominal wall are patients with good quality skin elasticity and a moderate degree of diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue superficial to the abdominal wall muscle layer. Patients who are significantly overweight, have significant abdominal wall laxity, and/or have lost a significant amount of skin elasticity are not generally good candidates.

My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping you achieve the type of outcome you will be pleased with. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck

You would have to be seen in person to determine if you are a candidate for a tummy tuck. Best of luck.

Tummy tuck

Without photos or better yet, seeing you in person, it is truly impossible to say whether or not a tummy tuck would be the right procedure for your desired outcome. It will lift you lax muscles, and trim excess skin and fat, re-contouring your mid-section. My best advice would be for you to book a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to be assessed in person and discuss specifics. The recovery time is much better than it used to be, but every patient is going to heal at her own rate. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

You would need to provide pictures to get any meaningful assessment of the best option for your abdominal area. A better option would be for you to consult with several board certified surgeons in your area to get an idea of the options for you.

Photos for better advices

Thanks for the question. 

I recommend you to send your photos to us to give you the advices you want and need.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

#ASPS #Abdominoplasty #tummytuck

Hello op79, thank you for your excellent question. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle.   Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon