Will this wound heal after breast reduction? (Photo)

I had a breast reduction 5 weeks ago and have had some skin loss and fat necrosis. As a result I have been left with a bug open wound. My surgeon suggested a skin graft or leaving it to heal on its own. I've chosen to let it heal on its own do you think I've made the right decision?

Breast wound after BBR

Thank you for posting. I would certainly try and let it heal by itself and then offer a scar revision later if necessary.It is important that the cause for the breakdown (if there is one) is treated: i.e. infection, smoking etcGood luck and I'd as a careful guess say it'll take 6-9 weeks to heal by itself if all else is taken care of.Best wishesBarbara

I am sorry to hear about the complication you are experiencing.  These types of complications can be quite distressing to patients;  unfortunately, sometimes the wounds do look worse before they begin to look better.

Close follow up with your plastic surgeon will be in your best interests; sometimes removal of a exposed suture and/or removal of any unhealthy tissue will expedite healing.  Sometimes, for larger wounds, the use of a " vacuum assisted device" (VAC) may be very helpful.  As you mentioned, other options include dressing changes or the use of skin grafting. Your decision to allow for the wound to heal on its own is a good one, in my opinion.

You should have peace of mind that these types of wound healing problems generally go on to heal over the course of the next several weeks/month.   Important to concentrate on a healthy diet, including good protein source.  Sometimes (depending on the width of the open wound and the appearance of the scar in the longer term), scar revision surgery may be helpful down the line. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.