Can I work and get on with a normal life whilst waiting for my breast abscess to heal? (Photo)

2 weeks post op I developed an abscess and admitted to hospital for surgery. The incision was opened up and the pus cleaned out and packed. I was shocked to discover a large gaping wound packed with dressing. I was discharged today and now have to go to the clinic for daily dressings. I  am due to travel in 3 weeks time too. Will my wound have healed enough? How long will it take to heal fully please? I don't seem to have any other problems other than this one.

Activity restrictions with an open wound after breast reduction.

Most patients can carry on their daily affairs as a surgical wound heals provided is properly managed. Specific restrictions will come from your own surgeon however.

I appreciate your question and photo. I am sorry that you are undergoing this complication from your #Breastreduction. In my opinion, it is best for you to speak to your #boardcertified #plasticsurgeon to find out when will be a good time to return to work or fly while dealing with this #abcess. He knows you well and can discuss your concerns. Best wishes as you heal and move forward.

Can I work and get on with a normal life whilst waiting for my breast abscess to heal?

I'm sorry to hear about the complication you have experience; these types of complications can be very stressful to patients (and their surgeons).  Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to advice regarding returning to activities and traveling. In my practice, I would encourage return to physical exercises as soon as possible, both for your physical and emotional well-being (especially considering the stressful experience you have been through).  The  presence of an open wound will not necessarily prevent return to exercise. Assuming your wound is clean, and no further immediate treatment is indicated, traveling should not be a problem either.   Best wishes for outcome that you will be pleased with long-term.