Can I wear a thin vest under tummy tuck binder?

My binder is very itchy. Just wondered if I could wear a thin vest underneath it? I'm on day 3 after full tummy tuck surgery and now at home. Many thanks in advance for any advice.

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Thank you for your question and congratulations on having undergone the tummy tuck procedure.

Yes, patients are sometimes more comfortable with a thin tank top or shirt underneath the binder.  I would suggest  communicating with your surgeon to make sure that he/she feels that this would be appropriate.

Best wishes for an outcome you will be pleased with .

How to manage the nuisance of itchiness and zippers on the tummy tuck binder

Hi Dotty583,

Thanks for the question.  Of course, you are best to ask your surgeon his/her opinion on the subject.

In my practice, we ask everyone to pick up a cotton camisole or t -shirt that comes down to the pubic area, to wear under the garment.  This is really helpful because it soothes the skin and actually makes it easier to get the binder on and off.  I also advocate the use of one of our medical grade moisturizers with arnica to apply to the skin daily.

Good luck!

In good health,

Ellen Mahony, MD

Ellen A. Mahony, MD
Westport Plastic Surgeon