Should I wait until after I've had kids before having a BA?

I'm 23 and don't have any children yet. I plan to have children in like 2/3 years time. I don't want to breastfeed. I really want a BA but I am worried that if I have it done before children then once I've had them the milk will make my boobs stretch more and then deflate once the milk has gone, if that makes sense. What do you all think?

Pregnancy and breast augmentation

when you have your surgery is completely up to you. I think if you want to enjoy larger breasts for a couple years before having kids its fine to do so

Breast Augmentation

Hi, deciding when is the best time to have Breast Augmentation is obviously a personal choice. Breast Augmentation will not have a negative effect with pregnancy, you do it when you feel ready! Having the surgery sooner rather than later just gives you many more years to enjoy it. Good Luck!

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS

Breast augmentation before or after children

Thank you for your question. Many women have breast augmentation before having children while some wait until after they have children, there is no right or wrong answer to when you should have breast augmentation. The decision to have plastic surgery is a very personal choice that you make, not your plastic surgeon. It is impossible to determine if you will or will not have skin laxity after breast feeding and really can only be known after you have children. Some women's breast return to their previous shape and size with only a small amount of laxity while others need to have a breast lift after children. Breast implants will neither increase nor decrease your odds of needing a lift to remove loose skin after children. I suggest that you weigh the pros and cons of having surgery now or years in the future to decide what is best for you.
I wish you the best of luck,

Mennen T. Gallas, MD
Katy Plastic Surgeon

Plastic surgery is maintenance surgery.  We are not curing anything.  You do it when you want  it.  Breast Augmentation surgery will not have a negative effect when you are pregnant.  Wear a good support bra and maintain a healthy weight, and you should do just fine.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

Breast Augmentation

The usual recommendation is to wait to have a breast augmentation if you are planning children in the near future.  If you have desired breast augmentation for a while and feel that it will improve your self-image, then the decision in regards to timing becomes a matter of choice.  Should I do it now and enjoy the results or should I wait? There is no guarantee that if you do it now and have children that you might not need another procedure such as a lift.

Barry M. Schwartz, MD
Weston Plastic Surgeon

Timing of breast augmentation

Your breasts can be affected from pregnancy whether you have implants or not.  The degree to which it can do this will have many factors including extent of weight gain, breastfeeding if you choose to do it, and genetics.  

Camille Cash, MD

Breast augmentation commonly done in women before beginning a family.

Women who have breast augmentation can breast-feed. Aesthetically the breasts can suffer as a consequence of pregnancy and breast-feeding. The breast implants will have no effect on this one way or the other.

When you are ready, have the surgery done. However, any pregnancy can affect the size and shape of your breasts. Some women have little change, and some have a lot. You can ask the women in your family how much change they experienced.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question. Timing of the breast augmentation is a very personal decision.  in general I advise patients if they are  planning on having  children in the near future (this is open to interpretation)  to wait on the breast augmentation procedure. Doing it this way will  potentially minimize  the number of operations  that the patient will undergo.  
Some common changes seen with the breasts  after pregnancy include " involutional  hypoplasia" (breasts  become smaller)  and/or breast ptosis (" drooping"). The changes the breasts experience may be related to genetic factors, skin elasticity changes, hormonal effects, and/or weight gain/loss around the time of pregnancy.

Should you wait until after you've had kids to have a BA?

Breast Shape After Breast Feeding and Breast Implants
Breast feeding is a difficult and complex event that affects all women and specifically their breasts differently. The one thing it will not change is the implant itself, which will have the same characteristics as when if was first place. For example, if your breasts grow several sizes with pregnancy and breast feeding or you gain substantial weight then it is very likely you will have sagging afterwards and benefit from a breast lift or other mommy makeover procedures.