Is my vagina normal or do I need to see a specialist? (photo)

My vagina seems to feel slightly lumpy but as ive never seen another one i dont know if this is normal or not. Please help.

Do I look normal?

Normal has more to do with how you feel rather than how you look.  Just like a person's nose or ears there is always differences in appearances noted with genitalia.  I wouldn't worry unless you are having symptom - (pelvic pressure, laxity, decreased sensation with sex, bladder leakage, difficulty with bowel movements)  And I wouldn't obsess too much as too much worry will cause symptoms (anxiety, insecurity, self doubt etc...)

Normal Vagina?

Hello selfhelpist08,Thank you for sharing your question and photo. There is a wide range of "normal" when it comes to the vagina/vaginal tissue. From the photo other than some element of a rectocele all appears "normal". The MOST important consideration when it comes to these issues is whether or not you are having any problems. If the answer is no then nothing needs to be addressed. If not broken no need to fix. Be well.

Paul Pietro, MD
Greenville Physician

Is my vagina normal?

Your vagina certainly is completely normal. All vaginas feel slightly lumpy, so please do not be concerned by that. Based on your photo, it does appear as though you have a small rectocele (rectal prolapse). This is certainly not unusual. Symptoms of a rectocele can be rectal pressure, constipation, or difficulty passing stool. If these are symptoms that bother you I would recommend you follow up with your gynocologist, but again this is very common to see. Cheers!

Normal or not

Your vagina does show there is a moderate rectocele as it come directly to the hymenal ring.  However other doctors on this forum are correct if it does not bother you ... you need NOT do a thing.  What are the symptoms of  a rectocele?  pressure, a bulge at the opening of the vagina, difficulty evacuating your rectum  at the time of defecation.John R Miklos MD

You can't fix normal

Lumpy is normal, your photo is normal, your vagina is normal. Rest assured that your vagina looks much like that of many women.

Normal or lumpy?

Your photo shows normal hymenal opening anatomy but what looks like a small rectocele or posterior (toward tailbone) vaginal/rectal muscle weakness. If you have not delivered a child vaginally then I am probably not being able to see adequately from picture. Without symptoms this is to be ignored. If it is a "beauty contest" you must discuss this with your OBGYN.

Normal vagina anatomy

Candidates for Vaginal Treatment Women have a wide range of normal color, texture, size and asymmetries of their genitilia. This is true of the Vulva and all of its parts, the same as other parts of the body. Candidates for treatment include women concerned about the appearance of their genitals , or those who experience discomfort, pain or difficulty with sexual relations. The specific problems are noted below in each section. These problems may exist at birth or with growth and development. They can occur with childbirth or other trauma to the region. All of these issues can cause a woman great emotional distress that is often difficult to talk about with their partner, friends and even their doctor.