Am I being unrealistic about my gynecomastia correction results? (Photo)

I had a tummy tuck and correction to my chest area 3 weeks ago. I paid £9500 for both surgeries together which bare in mind is a lot for a 21 yo student. My surgeon said he would make my nipple smaller than it was, my nipple is still so big. I know the swelling for my TT will go down so am fine with that but my nipples are still way too big. I've booked an appointment to see him soon but wanted opinions of others. I have posted a picture of my body before and after. Any comments will help.

Healing Concern After Gynecomastia Surgery

Following #Gynecomastia #surgery, your incisions will go through a maturation #process. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor. Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 

Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Am I being unrealistic about my gynecomastia correction results?

I am sorry to hear about your concerns after chest wall surgery. Although it is still too early to evaluate the long-term outcome of the procedure performed, it is very likely that additional areola reduction surgery will be necessary to achieve an outcome you will be happier with. Best to discuss your concerns directly with your plastic surgeon who will be your best resource when it comes to good advice, especially when it comes to timing for additional surgery. Best wishes.

It is very possible that the gynecomastia tissue has been completely excised but the widen areola and periareolar scar are likely to persist. The male nipple areolar complex should be about 2.7 cm in width and oval in shape. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in male breast reduction, who has great photos, and is an expert in the field.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills General Surgeon