Will my uneven nostrils change in 6 months following a bad rhinoplasty? (Photo)

I had a rhinoplasty 20 days ago. Swelling seems to have diminished however I am noticing incredibly uneven nostrils with left nostril turning upward. I am getting remarks from everyone that my nose looks bad. I have consulted my surgeon who said that I need to be patient and wait for 6 months but honestly can't see how the shape of my nostrils will change. Is it likely that this comes from swelling? Would I need an open tip revision in 1 year if shape doesn't change or only a nostrils operation?

Will my uneven nostrils change in 6 months?

Thank you for your question.With the passage of time, your nasal shape will certainly improve. Rest assured of that. As the swelling reduces, everything will fall into place.kind regards,

Rhinoplasty healing

Try not to worry this early in your postoperative period.  Nasal swelling takes a long time to resolve, especially in the tip area.  And many times a surgeon will do more work through one nostril than the other, so nostril asymmetry early on is common.And I hope you don't use a 5X or 10X mirror like many of my patients unfortunately do.  That will drive you crazy!

George H. Pope, MD

Rhinoplasty healing

Thank you for the question and photos.  You are very early on in your rhinoplasty healing.  Because of this you are likely to see many improvements and changes over the next few months.  I have had patients with symmetric nostrils in the operating room only to see them asymmetric in the first few weeks of their recovery and then return back to symmetric with healing.  I would continue to follow your plastic surgeons recommendations.  Massage may also be of help in expediting the swelling/healing process.All the best,Dr. Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD