When should I get a tummy tuck?

Hi I had 2 children 20 months apart as well as back problem which contributed to me putting on a lot of weight. I am currently 16 1/2 stone. For 12 months I have been working with a personal trainer 3 times a week. I lost 6 stone up to now but my stomach is saggy and hangs. I have no confidence what so ever. I would like to lose another 3 stone atleast before having a tummy tuck but I am really struggling to shift the weight, I seem to have hit a wall. Is it best to wait to get a tummy tuck?

When should I get a tummy tuck?

GreetingsThank you for your question, in this case you should consider doing Liposuction plus Tummy Tuck .Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) is a surgical procedure to make the abdomen thinner and more firm. It consists of removing excess skin and fat tissue and muscle repairing if required. In some patients it can be combined with liposuction. There are several variations of tummy tuck surgery like regular tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck each designed to target certain areas of the abdomen. During the procedure the incision will be made low at about the same level as your pubic hair for the scar to be hidden under bikini level. For improved tightening of the upper abdomen a small incision around belly button might be necessary. Placement of the belly button is very important for a beautiful belly. Tummy tuck operation is also a surgical choice for patients whom want to get rid of love handles. Our experienced plastic surgeons will explain these options and help you find out best treatment plan to reach satisfactory results.
Key Points in Tummy Tuck :1.   Placement and shape of belly button2.   Correlation between tummy and pubis3.   Localization of incision under bikini level4.   Formation of a curved waist

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

When should i get a tummy tuck?

Thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. You seem to be a good candidate for a tummy tuck procedure. However, to reduce your risks during surgery and ensure optimal results it's important to maintain a healthy, well-balanced diet to prepare for surgery. The closer you are to your ideal weight before surgery the better your result will be. The ideal BMI should be below 30. You should also consider waiting until you have finished having babies. Tummy tuck, also know as abdominoplasty, is a procedure to remove excess skin and fat from the lower abdomen and to restore the weakened abdominal wall, giving a firmer and smoother appearance. We nearly always add liposuction to our tummy tucks to sculpt the body 360 degrees to achieve an ideal feminine figure.
Tummy tuck is a very powerful technique in the right hands, and can have dramatic results if done correctly. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety. Don’t settle for less than a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Obesity and Tummy Tuck Success

At 16.5 stone you weigh 231 pounds. Ideally you need to have a BMI as close to 27 as possible because it has been repeatedly shown that perfoming Tummy Tuck surgery in people with BMI of 30 and high is associated with significant complications and dissatisfaction with the results.
Would you qualify for Bariatric Surgery (such as a sleeve) under NHS regulations? Long term, such an operation would result in a stable and long lasting weight loss.
You may also want to consult a nutritionist and cut as much Carbs (including alcohol) as you can from your diet IN ADDITION to increasing your CARDIO work out.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Peter A. Aldea

When should you get a tummy tuck

Yes, once you have stopped losing the rest of the weight you want to lose it is then time to visit with a plastic surgeon to best advise you of all the choices. Chances are a TT will be the best option for you.

Hope this helps!

Dr. Newall

German Newall, MD

Candidate for Tummy Tuck

Thank you for your inquiry!

From the information you have provided here, it seems like you are indeed a potential contender for the tummy tuck procedure. Although photos will allow for a more exact method of treatment, it seems like you may be a candidate for either the bikini tummy tuck procedure or mini tummy tuck procedure. For the best results, I would suggest implementing a medical weight loss treatment before the procedure to maximize the outcome of the tummy tuck. Make sure to visit a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your personalized options in order to ensure optimal results. 

Best of luck

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to provide specific advice without a photo. However, it sounds like you are a candidate for a tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!