Does my tummy tuck scar look infected? I am 4 weeks post-op. I had a full tummy tuck with liposuction to my flanks. (photo)

I will include two photos they are 3 days apart. The second one shows where the scab has come away to reveal more yellow is skin. It doesn't hurt but I'm pretty numb around there. My GP has taken a swab and put me on antibiotics which i have been taking for 2 days. I live on an island and my surgeon wont be back on island till my next appointment in two weeks. Im just washing with salt water and leaving to air 1 hour a day.  is a infection a really bad thing i get so worried.

Does my tummy tuck scar look infected? I am 4 weeks post-op. I had a full tummy tuck with liposuction to my flanks.

Thank you for your question. Please consult your plastic surgeon for follow up.

After the Tummy Tuck operation the recovery period depends on your physical status, age, general health and condition mainly. The operation itself does not take too long therefore you receive a mild anesthesia. Since the anesthesia that you receive is mild; you will not have problems associated with anesthetic agents after the operation. This is especially important and can be achieved with only a team of plastic surgeons like we have. After the operation you will have stiches and bandages which will be removed after the 10th day. You can start to do your daily activities 3 days after the operation but we do not advise you heavy lifting, running or activities that require excess physical activity. The more you rest, the faster your recovery will be.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck/Abdominoplasty/Liposuction/Vaser High Definition Procedures/Tummy Tuck Revision

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

#RealSelfCORESurgeon

Tummy tuck scar

Hi there Lauren,

Your wound does not look infected. I would say your surgeon has used dissolving sutures and you have some inflammation related to that.

The wound has opened up a small amount and so antibiotics are reasonable but based on your photo there is no need for any concern

Best wishes

Richard

Infection at Incision line?

Without seeing you in person, impossible to say, but given your photo, I would definitely advise you to schedule an appointment with your surgeon to have this assessed in person. I always think it best to err on the side of caution with any kind of potential infection. 

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Does my TT scar look infected?

Thank you for sharing your question and photograph and congratulations on your tummy tuck.  It appears that you have a small incision separation, likely due to a suture that worked its way to your skin surface.  Maintaining the area clean and covered should allow your body to heal this from the inside-out.  Hope this helps.

Tummy Tuck Scar

Thank you for the question and the photos.  You are still early in the post operation recovery stage.  Your wounds are pretty fresh and based on the pictures, you might have a small infection in that area but it's hard to tell for sure without an in-person examination. Following your surgeon's post op treatment advice would be the best course of action for now until you see him next.  Best of luck. Dr. Michael Omidi.

Michael M. Omidi, MD, FACS

Tummy tuck - is it infected

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.

You look as though you have a small area of inflammation and possible infection around a suture. It does not look severe. The treatment plan sounds fine. Please contact your surgeon for further instructions - even if he does not come to the island in 2 weeks, you and he can communicate by phone, email and photos.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Tummy tuck scar

Thank you for the question and pictures.  Based on the appearance, your scar does not appear to be infected.  It is common to have areas of delayed healing, especially in the middle of the scar where the tension is greatest.  I would recommend washing the wound daily with soap and water or salt water, and then applying bacitracin ointment to keep the wound moist to promote healing.  The wound will begin healing from the edges and from underneath, and should close in 1-2 weeks.  Hope that helps, have a blessed day!

Soumo Banerji, MD
Pasadena Physician