Do I have tubular breast syndrome? Ever since I can remember, I have always had come-shaped breasts. (photos)

Since I was about 13, my breasts were always come-shaped with oversized nipples and aerolas that sit at the bottom of my breast rather than in the middle. As soon as I take my bra off, my boobs tend to literally hang. I have always been very concious about this and it has put a strain on my relationships as I am too ashamed to take off my bra. Some days my boobs look fairly perky, however soon after removing my bra they just hang again. Could this have anything to do with sleeping on my front??

Do I have tuberous breasts?

Dear Amber

Many thanks for posting your question.

I am so sorry to hear how your confidence seems to be affected by the appearance of your breasts.

From the photographs it does appear that you have tuberous breasts.There are a variety of approaches to improving the shape of tuberous breasts. Normally I use a combination of a breast implant (or sometimes fat transfer) and a nipple/areola reshaping procedure to stop the puffiness of the nipple.

I don't think sleeping on your front has had any impact on your breast shape.

I hope this is helpful - goo luck 

Tuberous breast deformity

Dear Amberlate, you do have some features of tuberous (or tubular) breast deformity in that you have enlarged areolae and deficiency in breast tissue in your lower pole (from your areola down to your chest wall). It has nothing to do with how you have been sleeping.

If it bothers you, then surgery could help to improve the shape of your breasts.  Look for a plastic surgeon with FRCS(Plast) after their name as this means that they will have undergone specialist plastic surgery training and ideally look for someone who specialises in breast surgery.  Our professional associations are BAAPS and BAPRAS and their websites have a list of members.  Good luck.

Options for Tubular Breasts

Tubular breasts or #tuberous breast deformity are breasts with unusual shape. They may be very narrow at the base on the chest or the whole breast itself can be very narrow. There are different variations of tuberous breast deformity. Basically, it is a growth and development problem that may cause a lot of angst for young woman. A woman with #tubular breasts are often candidates for #BreastLifts.
Often #BreastLift candidates experience more satisfying results by combining a #BreastLift with #implants to restore superior fullness. In some cases, harvesting one's own fat and transfering it to their breast can be an alternative to implants for qualfying candidates. The options best for you will be discussed during your one-on-one consultation.
Your breast procedure should be performed by a plastic surgeon who specializes in cosmetic #surgery. You then greatly improve your chances of getting the result you want without the need for a revision surgery. Which is why it is imperative you select a #PlasticSurgeon who is board-certified and has a great deal of experience with breast augmentation and the incision type, implant placement, and implant type. Plastic surgeons who have specialized in breast surgery and cosmetic surgery are suitable to perform your #BreastAugmentation.
Aside from checking #board-certification, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.

Tuberous Breast Constriction

Thank you for your question and photos. Tuberous breast characteristics are relatively common and can present with different degrees of severity. This has nothing at all to do with sleeping position or something that you did. 

A common treatment technique involves releasing constricted breast tissue by making internal radial incisions that allow it to splay out properly. These incisions are done internally so the patient doesn’t see anything externally. In most cases the Plastic Surgeon will suggest the placement of an implant, typically in the sub-mammary position to better influence the breast’s shape and to add greater volume. If excess or sagging skin is present, surgeons may recommend performing a breast lift as part of the procedure as well. This can be used to reduce the size of areolas and address puffiness.

I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your aesthetic goals and options.

All the best

Do I have tubular breast syndrome?

Thank you for the question and pictures.
I think your breast photos do demonstrate some of the characteristics seen with tubular (constricted) his breast. For example, the distance from the areola to inframammary folds seems to be tight and relatively short. Your inframammary folds seem to be widely spaced from the midline of your chest. The areola do demonstrate some features associated with tubular breast such as an increased width and “puffiness”. The breast  appearance does not have to do with your sleeping position.

Generally, correction of tuberous breast anomalies involves breast augmentation with areola reduction / mastopexy procedure. The distance from the inframammary fold is increased (to create a more rounded out appearance). Proper implant positioning improves the distance (cleavage) between the breasts. The areola reduction helps to treat the pointed and "puffy" appearance of the areola.
In the most severe cases of tuberous breast, a more complete breast lift may also be necessary. In many cases however, a lift is not necessary. The patient should be aware that the final result will take months to see and that they will need to be patient and that revisionary surgery is more likely than in patients who do not present with tuberous (constricted) breasts.
In your case, if the appearance/shape/size of the breasts are a concern, you may be an excellent candidate for corrective surgery.
When you are ready, please make sure you consult with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons who have significant (demonstrable) experience with this type of surgery. There are a lot of factors to consider when making recommendations; for example your life circumstances ( planned pregnancies, psychosocial situation…) and tolerance for scars are factors that should be taken into consideration by you and your plastic surgeon.
I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to corrective surgery for patients with tuberous/constricted breasts) helps. Best wishes.