Does my tip need to be projected to stop it from drooping when I smile? Is there any other way this can be done? (photo)

A surgeon says in order to stop my tip from drooping when I smile, he will project it. Does this mean my nose would be even further away from my face? If so, Is there any other way this can be done? (I already feel my nose is too big don't want to make it any bigger!) Thank you for your help :)

Increase the projection of your nose? Awful idea. See my morph.

Click on the "Web reference" link, just below my response, or go here:

FacialSurgery.com/RealSelf/RealSelf_Noseynosey.html

I made a computer morph of your nose, and an animation of the morph, to show the changes that are possible for your nose in truly expert hands.

Your nose already has strong projection. Increasing the projection would do nothing to keep the nose from drooping when you smile, and it would make your nose look much larger, which would be awful.

The main feature of your nose is that it's long, measuring "length" from top to bottom, which is why it looks droopy, and even more droopy when you smile. It also has that hump on the bridge. In the morph, I elevated the tip of your nose substantially, and lowered the bump, and also DE-projected your nose, bringing the tip CLOSER to your face. Does that make more sense to you?

The short video above is of a patient of mine who had a long nose shortened.

Also, when a nose is shortened like that, sutures can be placed to hold the tip in position, so the tip doesn't get so much longer with a smile.

You should understand that the changes I demonstrated in the morph require advanced techniques, techniques that most plastic surgeons cannot handle.  Be sure to read the section in the "Web reference" link on how to stay out of trouble while searching for a rhinoplasty surgeon.

Your nose is also a good example of why computer imaging is mandatory in rhinoplasty. You need to know exactly what the surgeon is planning to accomplish -- what features he thinks he can change, and by how much he thinks he can change them. When you see his goals, you'll know whether he has an eye for a beautiful nose, and whether he shares your opinion of what constitutes a beautiful nose. You'll also know whether the changes he proposes are enough to be meaningful to you, and whether he understands your wishes enough to address all of your priorities. But remember, you're not hiring him for his skills with the computer. The doctor must then show you his before and after photos to prove that he can actually accomplish what he draws on the computer.

Omaha Facial Plastic Surgeon