Do I really need textured implants? (photo)

I've done my homework and know that some doctors prefer smooth implants over textured, and vice versa. The surgeon I want to do my operation with suggests textured implants, due to capsular contraction. Mine will be under the muscle, so it should not make a huge difference, right? He also suggested 375CC/HP. Is this too large for my early 20s body? HP is okay but cc? My BWD is 12, bust = 28 waist = 24 and hips are 33 inch, 5''4 tall. Triangle measurement is done myself ...

Don't go too big

Hello Birdie,

In the UK, we mainly use textured silicone implants rather than smooth implants, but they seem to use more smooth implants in the USA.  You will find arguments for and against both types and I would say that it is probably better to feel comfortable with your surgeon and his or her advice.  If you feel strongly, then you should be able to have any implants that you like, although there may be cost implications.

That does sound like quite a large implant, and so if you have concerns at this stage, then I would recommend that you go back to your surgeon and go over everything again because you need to be absolutely sure before going ahead with surgery. 

Do I really need textured implants?

The difference between these types of implants is the feel and surface characteristics of the outer surface of the implants. I do not think that there are any advantages of using textured implants and use the smooth round implants almost exclusively. Personally, I think that the surface coating of the present plans are probably the least important factor when it comes to a successful outcome achieved with breast augmentation surgery. Much more important, will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon and careful communication of your goals.

Ultimately, careful communication of your goals (in my practice I prefer the use of goal pictures, direct examination/communication in front of a full-length mirror, and computer imaging) will be critical.
  Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of know words such as “natural” or "C or D cup” etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Do I really need textured implants?

Size and shape of breasts can often play a critical role in a woman’s self-esteem. Fuller and bigger breasts are often associated with reproducibility therefore it is a desired condition. There are different kinds of breast augmentation operation types. Breast augmentation can be performed either with breast implants or autologous fat transfer. There are also different types of breast implants like teardrop or round implants. These implants also can be placed under or above the muscle. As you can imagine there are several different options for breast augmentation. The best way to understand which one is more suitable for you is to get a physical examination by a plastic surgeon.

It is important for you to understand that you don’t always need a breast implant for breast augmentation. As it was also mentioned above you can also get bigger and natural breasts with Cihantimur Fat Transfer method. In this method we use own fat tissue of the patient in order to increase the size of the breast. Since this tissue is your own tissue there is no risk for any adverse effects. It is safe and fast operation that yields natural results without any incision.

Silicone Implants: Textured vs. Smooth

Shaped implants are all #textured and should not rotate when used properly. Also, textured implants do not require breast massage following surgery.
In my practice, about 20% of the patients benefit from shaped implants. Your Plastic Surgeon needs to measure you and determine the best shape and size of any implants that are used.
#SalineImplants are made with a #silicone outer shell that are filled with sterile saline water (salt-water) during the surgery. Since saline is like normal body fluid, it is safe and easily absorbed if the implants were to leak. The #implant shell is ordered in a specified size beforehand, which can be filled to a minimum or maximum fill amount. This allows the plastic surgeon some flexibility with sizing during surgery. Often times a woman has breasts which vary slightly in size. If one breast is slightly smaller than the other, each implant can be filled to a different amount to create better symmetry.
Saline tends to be a little less natural feeling than silicone, but it can also create a more dramatic upper breast appearance, which some women prefer. A new saline breast implants option called Ideal Implant™ was recently FDA approved and is now being offered at here the Pacific Center for Plastic Surgery Newport Beach. The #IdealImplant was created for women who are not comfortable having silicone implants in their body, but desire a more natural feeling implant than traditional saline implants on the market. The unique structure of the Ideal Implant allows for a similar look and feel as silicone with the safety of saline.

Do I really need textured implants? = it you want lowest capsular contraction rate, they are ideal #breastimplant #BA

Recent research studies have shown that texture silicone breast implants have a lower incidence capsular contraction rate than smooth silicone implants.

Capsular contraction is one of the leading cause of reoperation after breast augmentation.

In my practice, I recommend my patients to undergo breast augmentation with textured silicone breast implants for the above reason ( and not because smooth implants were more popular in the past). 

John Mesa, MD

Textured Implants

I would agree with textured anatomical implants to use below the muscle (ideally dual plane type 1) for a better integration and reduce the chances of implants rotation.
In order to confirm the size it is crucial to assess the soft tissues - along with chest wall measurements.
Probably you should not go over 375cc to achieve a natural result and also to avoid complications.
I wish you the best of luck,

Stefano Cotrufo, MD, PhD
London Plastic Surgeon