Techniques to lessen animation deformity with submuscular placement?

Are there methods for minimising the effects of animation deformity with submuscular implants? I think I've heard that with more muscle dissection with the dual plane approach, this can be helpful.

Lessening Animation Deformity from Sub-Muscular Breast Implant Placement.

The only sure way to lessen the animation deformity from sub muscular breast implant placement is to put the implants over the muscle. Since almost all of my patients are very active and use their arms a lot, that is why I place almost all of the implants I do over the muscle. The only real reason to place an implant under the muscle is to reduce the risk of capsular contracture. When pre pectoral placement  is done correctly using textured implants there is only a fraction of a percent difference in the contracture rate. Some people will tell you that they use sub muscular placement to hide the implant. However, after a year the muscle is thinned so much that it no longer makes any difference. Some will tell you that you get a more natural result with sub muscular implants, but this is simply not so when the procedure is done correctly. I believe that most surgeons place the implant below the muscle because that is the way they were taught or because it is just easier and faster.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Animation deformity

Thank you for your question although you have seen to have answered it yourself. Apart from what you have said, which would be a good solution, if the patient can't have dual plane pocket for whatever reason, then the division of the pectoral muscle needs to be full thickness including the overlying fascia and be done away from the inframammary crease

Hope this helps

All the best

Yes more muscle dissection can be helpful but you need enough muscle to keep the implant in place and from bottoming out or crossing the midline.  Ultimately, if you are very muscular and worried about animation deformity, you could get your implants above the muscle.  

Tyler C. Street, MD
Napa Plastic Surgeon