Are tear drop implants right for me if I excercise a lot?

I am very slim with small breasts and had consultation with plastic surgeon who recommended tear drop implants for natural look (that's what I prefer). After reading about these I am worried about eventual rotation as I do intensive workouts. Are anatomical implants suitable for someone who excercises a lot? Is there greater risk of rotation?

Shaped implants placement

Hi and thanks for posting your question.
Shaped implants need to be placed in a way that creates a very tight pocket for the implant to minimize the risk of rotation. Despite proper placement, some patients still experience rotation of the implants-this is one of the risks of using a shaped implant. In your particular case, I would seriously consider choosing a round silicone implant so that your risk of implant rotation can be eliminated.

Teardrop and round breast implants can both give you a natural look.

Teardrop breast implants can be a great option for all women — regardless of their exercise routines. You can help improve the odds by picking an experienced, board-certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast augmentation. A skilled plastic surgeon should be able to create a pocket that fits teardrop breast implants like a glove; the snug pocket then helps the implants sit properly. You may also want to consider round breast implants, though. Moderate profile round implants can yield results that look and feel natural just as well as anatomically shaped breast implants. For the most educated opinion, share your goals with your plastic surgeon during your breast augmentation consult and see what he or she recommends for you.

Ricardo A. Meade, MD

Middle way

this is a balancing exercise between risks and benefits. The risk of rotation is real athough in my practice very limited, but you can eliminate that completely by using under filled silicone implants, like GFX from NAGOR  that have a very soft feel as well as looking very natural as they take a teardrop shape in your breast
All the best

Breast Implants/Breast Augmentation/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision Surgery

I appreciate your question.

The size of implant best for you is dictated by your chest wall measurements. Once we determine that we can choose the profile based on what you want or need to achieve.  If you are seeking a natural look, then the diameter of the implant should be equal to or, more ideally, smaller than the width of your breast. The breast width is a measurement of how wide your breast is at the base, which should be measured at the level of the nipple. Choosing an implant that is smaller in diameter than your breast width will avoid the "side breast" fullness that is often associated with a more artificial appearance. Other than that, you should choose the implant based on volume, not on the dimensions of the implant. You should choose a board certified plastic surgeon that you trust to help guide you in this decision.

Silicone will give you a fullness at the top (upper pole fullness).
Silicone implants come pre-filled with a silicone gel and are the softest implant available. They feel more natural, which makes them a good option for women with less natural breast tissue; but they require a larger incision. It may be more difficult to realize if this type of implant has ruptured, so it is important to monitor them with annual follow-up visits. Additionally, because this implant contains a more liquid silicone (less cross-linked), if this implant should rupture, it will leak only into the scar capsule formed around the implant but may cause some discomfort or implant distortion.

Anatomic gummy bear implants might be a good choice to give you volume.
These highly-sought-after, anatomic implants offer a look that more closely resembles the natural silhouette of a breast, and, therefore, are a very attractive option for individuals seeking a natural-looking, aesthetic primary breast augmentation. Additionally, these implants are an especially excellent option for patients undergoing restorative or corrective breast surgery because they provide more stability, shape, and reduced incidence of capsular contracture. Compared to other types of silicone gel implants, the silicone in the cohesive gel implant is more cross-linked; therefore, should the implant shell “rupture,” it maintains its shape and silicone does not leak.

During your breast augmentation consultation, you should feel the different types of implants available, and try on various implant sizers in front of a mirror to help you to get an idea of how you will look following the surgery. You should also bring pictures of the look you would like to achieve, as well as a favorite top to wear when trying on implant sizers.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute

Forget the teardrops

Use a moderate plus Silicone implant instead under the muscle. Rotation problems with anatomical implants are real. I never use these in Beverly Hills.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Shaped implants

Minimizing the risk of rotation requires precise pocket dissection.  The implant must fit properly.  Once healed, if the fit is correct and the pocket the right side, the risk of rotation is very low even if you exercise.

David A. Lickstein, MD
Palm Beach Gardens Plastic Surgeon

Which implant

You are right that shaped implants can rotate but if the surgeon is very careful in how that dissect the pocket so it is snug and you rest post op then this risk is minimised.

Round implants may not look as natural in the upper part of the breast but if you are having a modest size implant then often the difference is not that great. I have examples of pts with round implants in my gallery that can show you this. Discuss everything in detail with your PS. 

Best wishes 

Gerard Lambe, MD
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Anatomical or not

Anatomical implants are a good choice for people without much breast tissue or shape.  However, they are textured and may show rippling and malrotate.  For many thin patients, round silicone implants are a very good option.  You should consult with one or more experienced board certified plastic surgeons to get professional opinions.

Jeffrey D. Wagner, MD

These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of the breast augmentation procedure).
Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.
Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:
1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.
2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals.
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.
3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.
I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Anatomic implants and rotation

Anatomic implants are a fantastic choice for someone who is athletic, and who wants a natural look. They are form-stable silicone, and the newest generation of silicone implants available. Although there is a risk of rotation, that risk is present in any female, in those that exercise, and those that do not. The best way to prevent rotation is through meticulous surgical technique, where your surgeon makes the pocket the same size as the implant (like a hand-in-glove fit). When the pocket is made correctly, the implant has a low risk of rotation. So, choose your surgeon wisely and pick a board certified plastic surgeon who is familiar with anatomic implants. Best of luck to you!