Taller Women = Larger Implant Required - is this true?

HI, I've seen a lot of women of 5'9 + going for 500cc plus implants and ending up being DD and E. I've recently had my surgeon consultation and wondered if going below 500cc would mean that I do not get the fullness and size that I am hoping for? Do you think as a rule of thumb taller women with broader frames need larger implants? Is there a rule for how many cc is a cup size?

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size.

Focus on the look not the cc or cup size. Patient's often regret decisions based on extraneous factors as you may end up with suboptimal result. Bra's vary from store to store, and cc's mean nothing in isolation. You should be measured during your consult and offered implants within a 5mm window of those measurements in multiple styles. For what's its worth, in my experience a dimensionally sound mod+ profile tends to go from an A+/B- to the magical full C or small D. A high profile (or SRF) would be about 100ccs larger to maintain the same base width and more like a Full D but VS will call it a DD or DDD, particularly in a 32-34. Ultimately, try on the different styles and look in the mirror. When you see the look you like, pick that style! This requires a consult, exam, measurements and sizing with a board certified plastic surgeon. My patients select the implant style and their chest dimensions dictate the number of cc's. I make specific recommendations to each and every of the augmentation patients I see annually based on: 1) dimensional planning 2) expressed goals 3) amount and quality of tissue to hide the implant. I have included a link with my explanation of the different implants and what to expect from your consult as well as hundreds of before and after photos to see what change implants of a particular size deliver. Best of luck. #drfeldman #BancroftFeldman #breastaugmentation #sugarland #HoustonTX

Great question! Every client should receive #customized #planning, #care, and #results. It is best to seek an #evaluation,#exam, and #measurements and #sizing performed with a #board #certified #plastic #surgeon. I recommend that patients select the implant style they prefer and try on #implants until you see the result you want to achieve. Your #chest #dimensions also dictate the number of cc's you can pursue. Best wishes to you!

Choosing an implant size

Every single breast augmentation I perform is unique to the patient. There is no one-size-fits-all guide to choosing implant size. The size you choose should of course be based off of your body type so that your breasts look proportionate to your body, but they should also be the size that you envision. During my breast augmentation consultations I have my patients try on different implant sizes so they can see how the results will look and make sure that what they have envisioned in their minds is exactly what they want. I will of course give my patients my professional recommendation on sizes, but YOU and YOUR goals for the results of your surgery are the most important factor when selecting a breast implant size. Good luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

Implant/Cup Size

Thank you for your question. unfortunately there is no standardization for bra sizing so I recommend that my patients choose the implants that they like the best when trying on sizers in the office. Based on precise breast measurements, I will recommend a small range of sizes and projections which fit and provide the look my patient is after.
I recommend that you book a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon and let them know what your aesthetic goals are. They will make implant recommendations for you.

All the best

Don't worry about cup size

When I talk to my patients about breast augmentation and it comes to the part where we are talking about the size of the implant, I usually get a "well what size do I need to get to a...? I explain to all my patients that the choice of implant should not be based on cup size. The only thing the desire for a certain cupsize  tells me is how big the patient is wanting to go. If she mentions going from a "A" to a "DD" then I know she wants to go as large as possible. If she wants to go from an "A" to a "C" then I know she is looking more for subtlety. This helps make recommendations but does not help pick the exact size of the implant.

During my consultations for breast augmentation, I have the patients try on implants of different sizes in the office. When they find a size they think looks good on them I decide whether its appropriate or not. This I determine by physical exam so I can evaluate the quality of the tissue and by my measurements of the breasts. If someone wants to go from an "A" cup to a "DD" cup but the measurements of the width of the chest don't support the measurements of the width of the implant then a smaller implant will have to be chosen. I try and let my patients chose their own implant size but sometimes I have to recommend some patints to go bigger in order to get the result they are looking for, and sometimes I have to recommend some patients to go smaller.

However, I do find that women who are taller with wider frames tend to chose larger size implants but that is because the patients I see are going for a certain look.

In regards to ccs and cupsize, it is so variable that I don't even think you should worry about that. Just pick based on the size of implant that you think fits your body type the best and gives you the look you are going for! Wish you all the best!

Ankur Mehta MD

Ankur Mehta, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Broader frame, not taller women need larger implants

Thank you for your question.  Patients with larger rib cages generally need larger implants for a good fit and the size of a patients chest has little to do with their height.  In my preoperative examination, I do a lot of measurements to assess for symmetry and to help select the appropriate size of implant.  The circumferential measurement around the chest is the most important measurement to help select implant size in my opinion. This measurement has very little to do with how tall a patient is. 
Be sure to see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Implant Choice

Thanks for your question regarding height and breast augmentation.  Height does play a part in your implant choice, but also does your chest measurements and the post-operative size you are hoping for.  Best to work with a board certified surgeon who is comfortable explaining your different options, using 3D imaging to show how the implants would look on your particular body, and even sizers.  

Wishing you all the best,
Steven Camp MD
#HappyCamperMD 

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Implant size

I ask my patients who have the height to consider a larger implant because it can give them the shape they desire. I start with measurements in the office, have a full discussion with the patient, then use sizers in the operating room to allow the patient to reach their goals and get the results as exact as possible. 

Frank J. Ferraro, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Taller women need bigger implants?

There is no strict rule about cc versus cup size, indeed the cup size system is highly inaccurate, inconsistent and unscientific. Surgeons should not use this system to plan surgery and you should focus instead on the correct dimensions for your implant to fit on your chest. I would suggest you find a reputable surgeon who can offer 3-D imaging which is a highly accurate way of measuring, assessing and simulating what sort of result you can get with various implant sizes, styles and techniques. You should then feel more confident that you are making a sensible, informed decision

James Murphy, FRCS(Plast)
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Size Selection

Thank you for your question. "Tissue based planning" relies on your chest and breast measurements and is the safest way to ensure good long term results. Your surgeon should determine what size and projection are necessary to give you your desired result based on your body's measurements. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic breast surgery. Hope this helps and good luck with your surgery.