Is this swelling and dog ear on my left side? (Photos)

Hi am 4 weeks and 3 days post op tummy tuck and muscle repair with a bit of lipo. I'm not sure if I'm still swollen but my scar seems "deep set " which my stomach hangs over . Is it fat or swelling? I'm not bruised anymore or I don't think it is seroma as I've seen videos of seroma and they seem like a "waterbed" mines not wobbly seems hard ish and fatty. Also left side look like it's going to have a huge dog ear. Does everything look normal from my pics ?

Evaluating tummy tuck outcome

You are only 4 weeks since your operation. There is bound to be tissue swelling at the moment. Minor 'dog ears' tend to settle with time too. Most of the swelling settles at around 3 months, but continues to settle for 6 months to a year. I would wait for 3 to 6 months before you reasses the situation. If you want to be happy at this stage, compare your pre ops with your post ops and I am sure you will find a reason to be happy!

Early days

don't worry

it is so early days

most swelling takes 3, if not 6 months to settle and your dogear will probably settle too

please don't worry but wear your garment and keep your regular followup appointments

all the best

Post Tummy Tuck Swelling

Thank you for your question and photos. Swelling in the abdominal area will last 6 months or more post op so you have some time yet. I recommend that you follow post op instructions, compression and activity restrictions and try to wait until closer to 6 months to evaluate.

All the best

Critiquing Tummy Tuck Result Too Early

At four weeks they're will still be swelling. This is normal. It is too early to start critiquing the result. You'll have improvement in your swelling for up to six months and sometimes even a year. At the six-month mark is when you may start fairly critiquing the result. 

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

It is much too early too assess your TT

you really need to allow at least 6 months before you start asses for dog ears and less than ideal scarring. The TT scars and incisions usually keep improving for 12 months, so you are much too early to worry about small irregularities. it is normal to be concerned but try and just give it much more time and you will probably be very pleased how much it improved with time.

david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon