Swelling after male Breast reduction & Liposuction. Is it the swelling I feel or is it fatty tissue? (photo)

(No glandular excision) I'm only 5 days post opp and can see a slight difference but I still feel like I have a big chest. Some of the swelling is going down but when I feel my chest it still feels soft as if there is still fatty tissue there or is it just the fluid from swelling ? and it takes time to reduce into size? My ps said he took out 300ml on each Side. And I know it's very early days Im just a bit concerned. Any help much appreciated.

Swelling Post Gynecomastia Surgery with Liposuction

As your body heals, you may notice random bursts of pain in your chest. This is usually a sign that the numbness is subsiding. Your incisions will go through a maturation #process following #Gynecomastia #surgery. For the first few months they will be red and possibly raised and/or firm. As the scar matures, after 6-12 months, it becomes soft, pale, flat, and much less noticeable. You may experience numbness, tingling, burning, “crawling”, or other peculiar sensations around the surgical area. This is a result of the #healing of tiny fibers which are trapped in the incision site. These symptoms will disappear. Some people are prone to keloids, which is an abnormal scar that becomes prominent. If you or a blood relative has a tendency to keloid formation, please inform the doctor.

Bruising and #swelling are normal and usually increase slightly after the removal of any tape or foam. The bruising will decrease over 3-4 weeks, but may last as long as 6 weeks. The majority of the swelling will be gone within the first 3-4 weeks. However, it may take 6-9 weeks to disappear completely. 
Also, as you heal, the area may feel “lumpy” and irregular. This, too, decreases with time, and massaging these areas will help soften the scar tissue. The #compression garment helps reduce the swelling, and the longer it is worn, the more quickly you will #heal. It can also assist in the retraction of the skin. If you have any concerns about #healing, its best to ask questions of your surgeon or their nursing staff.

Swelling or fatty tissue after gynecomastia and liposuction.

Hi and thank you very much for your question regarding male breast reduction and liposuction. Since you had gynecomastia surgery five days ago, I believe it is too early to tell anything. Time will tell. It is important to continue to wear your compression garment. In addition, avoid salt and MSG. Avoid excessive exercising. Most of the swelling should be gone at eight weeks. Your final results may take 4 to 6 months to appear.

Good luck. If you have any future questions regarding swelling after breast reduction, please contact my office.

Sincerely, Dr. Katzen

Is swelling normal after gynaecomastia reduction?

Many thanks for posting your question

It is perfectly normal to be quite swollen after gynaecomastia correction by liposuction. I would continue to wear a compression garment, and keep in regular contact with your plastic surgeon.

Swelling improves over time

Liposuction for gynecomastia can result in significant post-operative swelling. Swelling and a feeling of hardness in the chest can last for a particularly long time, often up to several weeks after surgery. If you are noticing improvement already, you can expect to continue to see improvement over the next few weeks. Manipulating and feeling the chest may continue to make your swelling worse and take longer to resolve. I would continue whatever dressing protocol your surgeon has recommended and rest assured for now. 

Johnson C. Lee, MD
Beverly Hills Physician