What should I take with me to surgery? Also is there anything I should buy for post surgery other than the bras?

I'm booked in for 7:30am next Saturday. As its a good few hours drive away I'll be leaving around 5am so want to get my bag packed and ready the night before. I've already got comfy clothes (button up shirt), my paperwork, kindle packed. Also wondering what I need post surgery at home. Any hints or tips? Special pillows, specific meds? Really appreciate any advice as want to be as organised as I can.

What to pack?

Thanks for your question. Your sound well organized! I provide the post surgical bra to my patients at the time of the procedure. Every surgeon will have their post surgery routine/instructions. I recommend sleeping on your back for the first week or two after surgery, placing some extra pillow at your sides to remind you to stay on your back as much as possible. Plan to drink more than you're used to during the first three to four days after surgery. Check with your surgeon regarding their recommendation to use ibuprofen after surgery. Getting your prescriptions filled prior to leaving the hospital or surgery center for your return trip home is ideal. Stop frequently on the way home to stretch you legs and walk around. If you've never taken a narcotic pain medication, they make a lot of people itchy and nauseated so discuss what your surgeon may recommend for these possibilities. Good luck!

Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Things needed before or after breast augmentation

I would recommend getting your prescriptions filled prior to surgery if possible or have someone fill them while you are having the surgery.  Also I would recommend you bringing some light snacks for the ride home.  Also some extra pillows for you to sleep sightly propped up.  Best of luck

Raymond Jean MD Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Bryn Mawr, Philadelphia, PA

Raymond Jean, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. best to ask you PS. Breast augmentation” operation is performed under general anesthesia and it takes to perform the procedure nearly 1 to 1.5 hours when it is performed by a team of plastic surgeons. It is really important to decrease the operation duration to give less anesthesia to the patient yielding a better postoperative period to the patient. You will be advised not to eat 6 hours before the surgery and that is all! You will get a physical examination by your surgeon and anesthetist. After the examination; we will prepare you for the surgery. You will receive a sedation in order to reduce the preoperative anxiety and fell yourself more comfortable.

Breast augmentation - preparing for surgery

Thank you for asking about your breast augmentation.

• You sound all set to go.
  • Ask your surgeon is there is anything else.
  • Specifically ask if you should have ibuprofen and acetominophen to take for pain and how many extra pillows.
  • My main concern is your ride home - be sure to have extra pillows in the car, water, pain pills and several blankets - and tell the driver to make it as smooth a ride as possible

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes, Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD

Patient Preparation - Postop Care

Every surgeon has his own pre/post-op routine for breast augmentation patients. It is important that you follow all post operative instructions carefully during your recovery. Good luck with your surgery.

Ioannis Varnalidis, MD, PhD
Greece Plastic Surgeon

Preparation for BBA

Thanks for your question

do speak to your hospital directly where you are having the procedure but it sounds as though you are all set

Your consultant's secretary will also be happy to answer any questions 

Good luck!