Is it stupid to have a Tummy Tuck/Breast Lift just now if I have more children for in 5 years time? Should I wait?

I'm 23 years old & I've had 1 baby who was born 3 months ago. I don't know if I'll have any more children but if I do, I know this won't be for at least 5 years. I'm really unhappy with how I look after pregnancy and it does, and will continue to, affect certain areas in my life such as my sex life with my partner. I would also be willing to get more surgery/revision when the comes if need be. I'd just like an expert opinion on this please. Thank you.

Tummy Tuck/Breast Lift before haveing children

Thank you for your question. I have to agree that you should wait. You want to wait because if you get it done having more children can ruin the result. Its better to wait so you don't waste money for your results to be ruined. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeon Hoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Pregnancy & tummy tuck

Yes, if you want more children, I'd advise you to wait. Pregnancy, hormones and breast feeding will adversely affect your results. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Surgery before or after having kids

Hello dear, thanks for your post, My honest opinion is if your know you do want children now then yes I highly suggest you do wait until after. Reason is, when you are pregnant & after your pregnancy your breast will grow with breast milk. If you already have your breast done, then your breast will grown even bigger but always remember that after breast feeding, then they will shrink back down and 99% of the time they will not look as perky as they were before. So in a lot of cases women come back to redo their breast & sometimes have to get a lift done or larger implants to fill in the extra skin. If you wait until after you have children, then all that needs to be done is filling back up the skin stretched out by breast feeding which will leave you a better, perky and permanent look.

About the tummy tuck, it may be in your best interest to postpone a tummy tuck procedure till you are done having kids. However, this decision is all up to you. As long as you understand that plastic surgery does not guarantee permanent results and pregnancy may affect the results of your tummy tuck surgery, you may proceed with tummy tuck surgery. However, your skin and muscles may stretch out again after your next pregnancy and you may need another tummy tuck afterwards. Why not wait some years?

Discuss all options with a board certified plastic surgeon and make a decision based on the information you get. It is up to you. Good luck and take care. :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Surgery timing

Thank you for your question but I think you have already answered it.  You may need a revision in the future if you have more children but if you are unhappy with your appearance now why wait!

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Pregnancy after a Mommy Makeover

Since you are unsure if you are going to have future children and also really dislike your current situation, then a Mommy Makeover may be considered. The combination of breast augmentation/lift and tummy tuck will help your current appearance, but is important to keep in mind the impact a future pregnancy may cause. Pregnancies usually negatively impact breasts and abdominal tissue. If you choose to have another child in a few years, you will most likely need to have an update to your first procedure. 

Jay Burns, MD

Pregnancy after tummy tuck/ breast lift

If you want to improve your appearance now, instead of waiting five years, then it's reasonable to consider having a tummy tuck and breast lift. You need to realize however that a pregnancy later in life after a tummy tuck could compromise your result and require a revision. Consult with a few plastic surgeons in person for a thorough exam and review of your options.

Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

Mommy makeover in the UK

Hi there
thanks for the question.  You raise some great points.  I would say that if you can....wait.  Pregnancy will potentially undo a lot of what you get done in a mommy makeover.  However, if you have the money and are ok with having another surgery and you really can't stand how you look, there is no reason you can't have it now and then have another one down the road.  Who knows, the next pregnancy might not wreak as much havoc on your body and you might just need a couple touch ups the second time around.

Good Luck

Probably best but not necessary to wait until childbearing is over before having a mommy makeover.

Subsequent pregnancy after a mommy makeover can do much of the aesthetic benefit of the operation. I would suggest you wait but if the problem is pressing enough there's no medical contraindication to proceeding.

Everything in your post considered, I do not think that it is necessarily "stupid" to proceed with mommy makeover surgery now.   Choose your plastic surgeon carefully and communicate your goals carefully as well.  I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.