Why have the stitches opened after the Labiaplasty operation? (Photos)

I had Labioplasty operation 12 day ago. Some of my stitches have opened 3 days after the operation. My surgeon visited and advised to leave it until the swelling goes down so she can stitch it back. I had burning pain during urination. The Surgeon stitched it after a week. It's been 4 days and it seems the part is still open or it hasn't been stitched properly. Do I have to go back for more stitches? Do I have to wait? Will it cause deformities? Can she stitch it again? I appreciate your advice.

Labiaplasty Wound Problem

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Wounds can open in this location although it is rare when the patients rest for a few days after surgery. At this point the wound needs to heal itself and can likely be revised later if needed.
Best Regards,
John Di Saia MD

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Sutures Re-opening After Surgery

Revison surgery for labiaplasty may be requested to remove more tissue: make the labia more even;  correct over reductions; treat adhesions between parts of the vulva; improve the appearance of color, texture, and scars after previous treatment. Revisions are generally possible but, as with other surgeries, revision becomes more difficult than the initial first operation. These should be performed by a surgeon experienced with Cosmetic Female Genital Surgery.  You should wait at least 6 months for the initial surgery to resolve.  Tissues need to heal and soften before they are re-operated upon.So, basically it would be best to go ahead and allow the incisions to close up this time and heal for a long time. Then once the surgery has completely resolved later, then you should be able to go to your surgeon with any questions if you are still curious about the area and where the initial incisions were placed. Best of luck to you!

Labiaplasty scar separation 3 days after labiaplasty

Stitches can tear out when there is too much tension on them. Judging from the bruising in the photos, I suspect that you had a hematoma which created tension on the sutures and forced it's way out by breaking through the sutures and creating the problem that you see today. Resuturing rarely succeeds because the skin is very brittle just after surgery. You need to wait for it to heal at least six months before any revisionary work.

Why have the stitches opened after the Labiaplasty operation?

Occasionally incisions can open due to various factors including technique, type of suture used and the activity of the patient post procedure.  It is best to allow the area to heal initially without reintervention and with local wound care.  If needed, you can discuss revision once the area has completely healed.  

Opened after the Labiaplasty

hello Lara,the points because usually open wounds infected by bad scarring threads inaducuados abrupt patient efforts are also anemias deficiency causes injuries.

Miriam Luciano

Dominican Republic OB/GYN

Miriam Luciano, MD
Dominican Republic OB/GYN

Open wound

Generally restitching a recent wound will not hold. The best advice is to do wound care,i.e. keep it clean,and let it heal totally which usually takes around 3 months. Then do a revision if needed.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

You will probably settle down fine with time

most likely the surgeon used dissolving sutures which dissolved too soon. Although i cannot promise you, most likely if you wait 3-6 months, it will look much better and probably will not even need a revision. it is best to wait at least 6 weeks, (though 3-6 months is better) before you consider doing any further revisions.
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon

"Re-stitching" labiaplasty incisions: this is a "NO-NO!!!" after 36-48 hours

Any surgeon who "re-stitches" a labiaplasty incision (or any incision for that matter!) > 36-48 hours after surgery is dumb, unskilled, and should not be doing surgery. Period! There are general "rules" in surgery. One is that re-suturing incisions > 36/48 hours distant to the time of the procedure is DOOMED TO FAILURE. A protective coating has formed along the edges, and re-suturing NEVER holds, can get infected, and always makes things worse.
For you, your photos are not in focus so it's difficult to comment on the state of your incision, but the general rule is to WAIT until ~ 6-8 weeks after your procedure to get an idea of results. It they are not pleasing, you can have a revision, but it is best to wait until 5-6 months after your surgery so that the tissue is "re-vascularized" and back to normal so that you have the best chance for successful reconstruction. And do not go back to that so-called "surgeon" who re-stitched your incision after a week!
Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Labiaplasty wound separation

Thank you for your question.  This is an unfortunate event that can occur after any type of surgery but especially labiaplasty if performed improperly, infection or because of constant friction between clothing and opposing tissue.  You need to allow it to heal and it may look totally normal once the tissue completely closes but if not, revisions can be performed after it completely heals.  I would recommend waiting at least 6 months and make sure your surgeon is skilled in the procedure and you follow closely the postoperative instructions.  Best wishes to you!

Broken suture line - linear resection

Dear Lara
It appears you have a broken suture line and there is nothing that you can do about this until it heals.   Once it heals and if you do not like the way it looks I encourage you to choose a surgeon who deals with unfortunate labiaplasty results or botched surgery.   You have very little labia left to work with and the last thing you want to do is to have complete amputation.  Choose  a revision surgical specialist.  The surgery can be repeated in 4 months. I have been performing revision surgeries for more than 20 years.   
I am sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hopefully all will heal well.
John R Miklos MD
Urogynecologist & Cosmetic Vaginal Surgeon
Atlanta ~ Beverly Hills ~ Dubai