Stats; 5'5, 120lb, 30A, 2 children, 25 years old. I want to achieve a D or DD cup size?

Stats 5'5 120lb 30A 2 children 1 grans transgbeen offered 345mods(only size i tried on & was offered), wanting to achieve a D DD cup size with upper pole which i don't think they will thinking more along the lines of 385cc high profile what do you guys think? 2nd con on 20th oct xx

I appreciate your question but you are going about this backwards by trying to decide what implant volume will give you the goal look. That is the Surgeon's job. You need to show the physician photos of pre and post op looks you like. If the surgeon can't make that happen, then you need another surgeon. You have never done this procedure, your surgeon should have done it hundreds (or thousands) of times.There is no way you have the experience to know which implant is best. Believe me, implants IN you do not look at all like implants ON you. And none of us can answer that either without a consulltation and examination. 

Size

Thank you for the question and I would go on some complimentary consultations where they put implants in a bra till you see the volume on your chest that you like.  Then after taking measurements, your surgeon can pick the best shaped implant for you for that volume

Dr. Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Thank you for your question. Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck! 

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Implant Size

Hello leiighcarlaa and thank you for your questions. You should definitely have this addressed in your second consultation. To achieve your desired volume, your surgeon should be able to offer you implants to try on with your bra. That way your surgeon can assess you and give you the preferred implant size for your frame. I wish you the best of luck!

Peter Newen, MD

D or DD Cup after Breast Augmentation

It's really difficult to predict accurately what size bra a woman is likely to wear after she undergoes breast augmentation surgery.  Where she buys the bra, for instance, may be important.  In our area we find that bras from the different stores fit women differently.  A woman may wear a D cup comfortably from one place but a DD cup may be a better fit from another place.  In my practice I listen to what the woman tells me she hopes to achieve, I then evaluate her breasts and tissues, and then we talk.  Sometimes I'll have her stand in front of a mirror and I'll draw on her.  In almost all cases we also use 3-d imaging to help a woman understand how the choices she and I make together may likely influence the final outcome.  I have found that 345 cc moderate profile implants in one woman may provide a very different look for another woman.  Similarly, 385 cc high profile implants will provide different results in different woman.  In my experience, high profile implants give a more "augmented" look than moderate profile implants.  I actually tend to use moderate-plus profile implants the most, because I think they tend to give a nice balance between volume and shape and projection.  

No surgeon on Real Self can tell you which implants will work best for you.  Visit with a few Board-certified plastic surgeons who do a lot of breast surgery.  Tell them what you want.  In the end it really depends on judgement, yours and your surgeon's.  The more you tell your surgeon what you want, and the more your surgeon hears what you are saying, the more likely you are to achieve your goal.

Kelly R. Kunkel, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Implant selection

In order to adequately size you, you would need to be seen in person to properly evaluate you. Best of luck.

Implant selection

Hello and thank you for your question.  The size, shape, and profile of the implant is based on your desired breast size/shape, your chest wall measurements, and soft tissue quality.  This decision should be based on a detailed discussion with equal input from both you and your surgeon. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

Thank you for your question. It's important to understand that you cannot predict the cup size after an augmentation. Bra cup sizes are not standardized and vary between manufacturers. The main thing is obtaining your goal look and then finding out your cup size once you have a bra fitting.

The most important factor when sizing implants, is working closely with your surgeon in person to find the implant size that gives you the look that you desire. Careful measurements of your breast and chest wall will help determine which size implants will fit within your natural breast footprint. Taking into account your desired look, and your measurements, an implant is chosen that specifically fits your body.

Unfortunately, online recommendations are not that helpful. Make sure that you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon, so that you two can work together to find the right size.

In my office, patients try on implants in a bra and clothing. There able to see how they look in the mirror, and in photographs. Women are also encouraged to bring in wish pictures, so that I can get a sense of the look that they would like to achieve.

Good luck with the process!

A cup to a D cup. Implant suggestion?

Going from an A cup size to a DD cup size will require significant stretching of your skin and breast tissue.  It is impossible to estimate what size would be appropriate for you without photographs and a face-to-face examination.  I personally prefer to match my patients' goals in surgery by selecting among several implant sizes that I have available at the time of the procedure.  The use of sizers allows me to actually see the outcome and the result as well as the contour and shape of the breast with different volume implants in place.

Also please be aware that larger implants do have greater risks of complications especially when placed in a small framed patient.

Good luck and best wishes.

Jon A Perlman M.D., FACS
Diplomate, American Board of Plastic Surgery
Member, American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
ABC-TV Extreme Makeover Surgeon
Beverly Hills, California

Jon A. Perlman, MD

Breast Implants

Dear Leiigh,

Here my thoughts when I pondered your question.  To emphasize, you really need 200cc per increase in each cup size, so you have a ways to go and need to have another discussion and bring photos of your wish boobs. An A cup to a D is three cup sizes!

Here are a few tips for you because this is perhaps the hardest decision for a patient to make, as well as the surgeon.  Also see the video attached to my answer.  We spend up to two hours for our BA consults to be sure there is careful communication. We do a full exam in front of a full-length mirror taking six exact measurements.    We put your photos on a large computer screen for imaging, and go over your “ideal-size” photos. We then save this information to your password protected “web account.”

First and foremost the implant should fit the dimensions of your breast and tissue cover.  Balancing the implant to your over-all body shape and tissue cover is essential.    The main thing is to have the diameter of the implant fit the diameter of your breast "foot-print".  Higher profile implants tend to have a smaller diameter.  Higher is really a marketing term, but often translates into the same volume implant with a narrower base.  Saline implants actually tend to decrease in diameter as they are inflated!  The average size chosen over our last 7,000 breast implants was “350cc”.  BUT, 90% of our patients tell us they wish they were bigger a year after BA.  (We will see you every year for routine checks at no charge.) It’s like your mind incorporates the "new you" into your own self-image over a period of time. Cup size estimates can be misleading, but I generally advise patients that they will experience an increase of approximately one cup size per 200 cc.  You can try on implants in the office by placing them into a special bra.  The implant is also flattened somewhat when under the muscle, so it is a good idea to bump it up a bit. Approximately 1-ounce (25cc) is added to the final volume to account for flattening of the implant in the partial sub-muscular pocket.  Once you decide on a size you like, then add on 25cc, because in real life the implant will be flattened slightly by your tissues.  Multiple measurements need to be taken to fit an implant to your exact anatomy.  Have your surgeon's office show you the charts of the implant dimensions for the various profiles of silicone and saline from the manufacturer.  Then you and your surgeon can piece together the puzzle by matching your measurements, with your wishes, versus your tissue cover and the available implants to arrive at a surgical plan.  Keep in mind larger implants tend to have more problems over the years.  Since silicone implants wrinkle less than saline implants, they might be your best bet.

You can also approximate this at home by measuring out an equivalent amount of rice placed into a cutoff foot of old panty-hose, and put this in your bra.  Wear this around the house for a while, and see what you think.  Implant size must square with assessments of tissue cover, breast diameter, and chest wall width.  Multiple measurements of your chest wall are taken (seven in total).  Implant size selection has been an issue of much discussion.

Therefore, I use a wide variety of methods, but the implant size is always established preoperatively.  Also, patients are advised to bring reference photos demonstrating their ideal size and shape.  A photo album of patient pictures is maintained to assist them.  These photos ultimately help in determining where the implants will be placed, since they can be shifted inside (to provide more cleavage), to the outside, up or superiorly, and down or inferiorly during surgery.  In determining the final size selection, I always place the highest priority on the preoperative measurements and potential tissue cover.  Finally, your verbal requests are factored into the analysis.

We use the quick-recovery approach, so click on the web reference link below to have this explained and you can see the list of Quick-Recovery (Flash-Recovery or Rapid-Recovery) Breast Augmentation articles from peer-reviewed surgery journals.  It is a surgical procedure that uses special instruments and techniques to minimize tissue damage and avoid touching the ribs. It causes far less trauma to surrounding tissue than traditional approaches, and it dramatically reduces pain and recovery time. In published studies of BA patients, 95-percent of women interviewed after the procedure returned to normal daily activities within 24-hours. Quick-recovery BA is not a “gimmick.”  These specialized techniques, which actually speed recovery and get you back to your daily routine, kids and work, are published in our plastic surgery journals.  Because these PS journals are “peer-reviewed” and edited, they are the gold-standard in our field as being valid science. Therefore, these are sound techniques, not marketing hype. 

Be sure to see only a board certified plastic surgeon (by ABPS - The American Board of Plastic Surgery) who is a member of ASAPS (The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery) and or a member of ASPS (The American Society of Plastic Surgeons).  Also, ask if the PS has an established, high volume breast augmentation practice, performing several hundred breast augmentations each year.  Be sure the PS has been in practice for a while, about 20-years might be a good gauge.  Does the PS offer all three incisions?  Discuss the implant type (gel or saline), shaped "gummy bear" or non-shaped, smooth or textured, implant pocket (over or under the muscle) and the "quick-recovery approach."  Ask to see their before and after photos if you didn’t see any on their website.  If they are experienced, they should have several 100 breast implant patients for you to view.  I would also recommend that your doctor offer you the chance to talk to past patients who would be happy to discuss their experience with you.  You need to feel comfortable, so make sure the environment is safe as in an accredited surgery center.  Also, ask a prospective surgeon if he or she has ever published journal articles in professional peer-reviewed journals, which they can provide you.      

All the best, “Dr. Joe”