When can you start to massage your breasts after breast augmentation?

I have my b.a 2nd September and was curious as to when you can start massaging them. Thanks

Usually it is advisable to rest for 2-3 weeks after operation but this would depend on how fast your body is healing, your surgeon's advice and the kind of massage you will be doing.

London Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question. I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. This is a question you need to ask your plastic surgeon directly and follow his recommendation. In my practice most patients start massage between 2-3 weeks post operatively.

It is very important that you ask the advice of your PS. In my practice the advice varies depending on the type of implants and the pocket. Type of massage and timing of massage also varies. Check with your PS

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

When to Start Massaging the Breasts After Breast Augmentation Surgery?

This is something you need to discuss with your surgeon. For my patients, I have them start at their first visit after surgery, which is in three days. I give my patient instructions on massaging techniques which will help soften and relax the breast pocket. I have them do this several times a day, it also helps reduce encapsulation in the future. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Massage of breasts after breast surgery is not a universally accepted or agreed-upon  principle. Each plastic surgeon may have his/her opinion that is based on their specific/unique education, experience, and personal preferences.  
Therefore, once a patient has selected her plastic surgeon, best to follow his/her advise/instructions, as opposed to those of online consultants. Your plastic surgeon knows exactly what procedure was performed, how he/she obtains the best outcomes possible, how you are progressing, and is ultimately responsible for your care. Best wishes.

I usually start my patients on breast massage at 2 weeks post op, or when they can tolerate it.  Talk to your surgeon about how to do the massages an when to start them.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD