Enough skin for a tummy tuck? (Photo)

I recently had a consultation regarding breast augmentation but I really wanted to have a tummy tuck too. After 2 children I feel my belly button looks hideous! And my skin wrinkles worse than my nans does when I bend over. The consultant said I didn't have enough skin to perform a tummy tuck but that's as far as my query with regards to my stomach went. What else can I do? I'm a 1st year med student and it's really hindering my education in practicals as I'm too body conscious, please help!

Enough skin for a tummy tuck?

Based on your photos you are a candidate for a mini abdominoplasty, since the loose skin are concentrated on your lower abdominal region. This would get rid of the excess skin and would give you a better contour.

London Plastic Surgeon

Enough skin for a tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question . You are a candidate for a tummy tuck albeit a mini tummy tuck .  In general I am not a fan of mini tummy tucks but I believe your anatomy is perfect for one as you have a high riding belly button which can be lowered 3 to 5 cm, thereby tightening the upper abdomen .  Excess lower abdominal skin is excised and muscle plication can be performed wherever needed.

YOU probably should get a second opinion from a plastic surgeon who performs multiple tummy tucks . 

Good luck. School is more important than your body image . 

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

It is difficult to tell from a photo alone, however, it does appear that you have redundant skin.  As long as you would be okay with a scar in the panty line, a modifified tummy tuck could be performed.  This would address your concerns about the belly button somewhat and could avoid the scar around the umbilicus.

Ethan Philpott, MD

Second opinion

Hello.    You may consider getting a second opinion. Your photo does demonstrate that you have excessive skin which may possibly be managed with either skin excision or a formal tummy tuck. Also if you have a skin shortage a tummy tuck can be performed but you will be left with a small vertical scar. 

Good luck

DrBurnett#realself100

Tummy tucK

You can help to answer your question by yourself: in front of a mirror, while standing erect, grasp ALL of the loose tummy skin with your hands. Make sure that the upper and lower abdominal skin excess is gathered up. If you can gather a "handful" of loose skin, then you are most certainly a candidate for a tummy tuck. If you can only gather up 2-3 inches of loose skin, then a Mini-tuck is more appropriate. In your  photos, there is a considerable amount of loose skin above and below the navel. I think the your goals would be best served with a traditional tummy tuck.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon