Sharp defined neckline? (Photo)

I'm 25 and looking to achieve a more sharp, defined neckline. I would like more forward projection. There's some fat above the hyoid. Is Lipo the appropriate procedure? Perhaps a small chin implant also? I'm Consulting with a Cosmetic Surgeon soon regarding revision rhinoplasty so will talk about this also, but I would like some more opinions please . Thanks

Candidate for a Chin Augmenatation

Without an exam your question cannot be answered. However, your photos are helpful and you are probably a good candidate for a Chin Augmentation. You will need to see an Oral/Maxillofacial surgeon to see if othognathic surgery, genioplasty or using an implant is best for your specific case. It should be noted that patients with severely weak jaws or abnormally functioning jaws may be better treated with other facial surgery (orthognathic surgery), although a chin augmentation may be an option at a later time. These patients should seek the advice of a plastic surgeon to determine which course is right for them. Here is some information to help you make this decision:
Candidates for Chin Augmentation -
Patients whose chin profiles are weak but have normally functioning jaws are candidates for Chin Augmentation. Many of these candidates have used injectable fillers in the past to strengthen the protrusion of their chins, but are looking for a permanent solution. If you are one of these patients, then you are a likely candidate for chin augmentation.

How to improve and define neckline?

Looking at your photo, I would say that you would be a good candidate for augmenting your chin with an implant to improve your profile and jawline.  Liposuction under your chin could provide further improvement.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sharp defined neckline

The photograph demonstrates a weak and recessive chin profile and fatty deposits in the neck along with a short Platysma muscle. Placement of a chin implant will help with facial balance, proportions, and bring the jawline forward to help with the definition in the neck. Fatty deposits are located above and below the platysma muscle in the neck which must be removed with surgery and with liposuction. Once the fat has been removed from underneath the platysma, a platysma plasty is performed. No skin removal is required. This is known as a neck lift in our practice. For many examples, please see the link and the video below to our neck lift/chin implant photo gallery

Improving the jawline

Thank you for the picture! You have the right ideas.  A chin implant would certainly help improve the jawline and give it more definition, and as far as addressing the submental area, well there you have a variety of options.  Because you are 25 and your skin has better elasticity and memory to "bounce back", liposuction or microliposuction is a good option.  That being said, there are only certain pockets or layers of fat within the neck that can be safely liposuctioned, and this is where your underlying anatomy comes in.  if your hyoid/larynx are far anterior and you do not have much of a natural mentocervical angle, no matter how much liposuction you do obtaining perfect definition will be difficult.  During the consultation your PS will be able to give you more details as to what can and can't be done.  You are also a likely candidate for kybella or, what i personally prefer, thermiRF.  But a chin implant with the combination of some submental treatment is a great plan that you have outlined.  Best of luck on your consultation!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sharp defined neckline?

Hi, I have performed many facial shaping procedures using dermal fillers or facial implants (cheek, chin) for over 30 years. Based upon the beauty principles outlined in my book on face and body beauty, men look chiseled and handsome with angularity in the cheeks, chin and mandibular angles. From the photos, your cheeks are flat anteriorly (in the front), the chin is weak as are the mandibular angles.  

A weak chin creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin. Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face.

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty. I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone. In my opinion, you are a good candidate for chin implant surgery.

The following procedures would create a more ruggedly handsome face.

• Cheek augmentation with cheek implants to add angularity to the cheeks and mid face. 
  • Chin augmentation, using a chin implant, to add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face as discussed above.
  • Augmentation of the mandibular angles using a dermal filler (jaw implants have too many unwanted side effects IMHO) to add volume, angularity and flare to the jaw line.
Hope this helps.