Do my scars look ok at 7 weeks? (photo)

I had my operation 7 weeks ago. The scars look red and do not begin to fade. Is this normal?

Scars

It is quite normal for scars to appear reddish and dark for at least the first few months. It will take about a year for your scars to mature. Talk with your Plastic Surgeon about treatments which can help minimize their appearance.
All the best

Healing after breast augmentation

Thank you for your question. Based on your pictures, it appears that for 7 weeks out, your scars are in fact healing nicely. Scars can take 6 months to 1 year before they dramatically fade. However, there are a few creams on the market such as Neocutis Hydrogel, that significantly lighten scars. Hope that helps and best of luck!

Scars

Based on your photos your scars seem to be healing quite nicely and will continue to evolve for up to one year following surgery. I advise patients to be sure and use a scar gel and sunscreen on their incisions for up to one year. I also suggest asking your board certified plastic surgeon his/her recommendation for a scal gel he/she may prefer you use. Keep up the good work!

Brian S. Glatt, MD, FACS
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Incision healing time

Based on the photo, you appear to be healing nicely. Scars take time to heal and go through several phases before they fade as well as they are going to. It can take up to a year for scars to fully fade. You can apply a scar cream if your surgeon recommends you do so, and continue to be patient with your healing process! 

Michael E. Ciaravino, MD

Incisions heal, scars mature!

Hi amber4, You look to be healing normally for 7 weeks post op. I'm not sure why you would have been given any indication you would have faded, not red scars less than 2 months after surgery though! The incision sites heal, turn a healthy pink or red, scars form very gradually and then take time to mature to a fleshy/silvery white. It is a phased process in the body that takes a considerable amount of time. In most cases, a scar isn't considered fully mature until 1 year! You can do your part by keeping them out of the sun, not smoking, staying hydrated and following all post op instructions given to you by your surgeon. If hypertrophic scarring is a concern, make sure and discuss this with your surgeon, they can start you on a topical silicone tape and/or anti-inflammatory cream as these products sometimes help to flatten the scar. I would not advise using anything over the counter without running it by your surgeon first. The last thing you need while healing is skin irritation or infection cause by a drug store or home remedy! You look great. You should look even better in the months to come!

William Aiello, MD

Treating your scars after breast augmentation

Scars typically become redder and thicker for 6 weeks and then start to slowly improve over the next 2 years.  So your scars appear normal for 7 weeks.  The most effective treatment for scars is topical silicone sheets- CVS and Walgreens both carry a scar strip over the counter that looks like a bandaid lined with silicone.  Vitamin E has not been shown to be effective.  Liquid silicone that you "paint on" the scars can also help, but may not be as effective as the sheets.  If despite the silicone the scars are continuing to become more raised and itchy over the months ahead then a patient may have a hypertrophic scar or a keloid and may benefit from Kenalog injections by their plastic surgeon.  But from what I can see your scars look normal for 7 weeks.  So wear the silicone strips as much as you can over the next 3-6 months (take them off for swimming/shower/gym) and check back with your plastic surgeon.  It is also important to keep your scars away from any sun exposure over the next 6 months or longer until the pink has faded. Pink scars can turn brown in the sun ( Post inflammatory hyperpigmentation)Good luck!

Jonathan Hall, MD

SCARS POST BREAST AUGMENTATION SURGERY

Thank you for your inquiry. Your scars are healing nicely and normally according to the 7 week post time frame. Redness is normal. Silicone gel such as Dermatix and Vitamin E cream may be applied to effectively reduce and minimize scarring.  Attend all your follow up appointments and follow your physicians directions. Best of Luck!

Breast Augmentation Scars

Hi and congratulations on your recent procedure! You scars look to be healing just fine. It generally takes up to six months for a scar to mature. In that time it's best to use a scar management product such as Skin Medica's Scar Recovery Gel to reduce the appearance and help aid in the healing of the scars. Good luck and congratulations again! 

Scar Management

Best Scar Management is important to minimize or completely hide from view, the telltale signs of your surgery—namely, scars. Both you and your surgeon want you to have the most minimal scarring possible. There are many possible causes for scars that are enlarged or not healing well. Unsightly scars are most commonly due to genetics, underlying medical conditions, or improper scar/wound care. The last part is very important and patients can make a noticeable difference in their scars’ appearance by following best scar management practices.

Are my scars settling ok?

Dear AmberMany thanks for posting your question. From what I can see in your photos, the scars look like they are doing fine, and are on track. You are at the time when scars are at their reddest, so things will continue to improve from here.I advise my patients to use silicone gel to help their scars to mature as quickly as possible, so this may be worth considering.
Good luck!