Will tummy tuck scar revision/lipo be worth the pain. (photos)

I had a preventative mastectomy & tram flap reconstruction 2 years ago with abdo muscle repair and my tt scar healed very poorly and was infected which means it now looks awful. I have been offered a scar revision and lipo but I am worried the outcome will not be worth the pain. I ammost unhappy about the pooch above my scar as you can see it throughclothing if I wear a skirt or dress.

Will tummy tuck scar revision/lipo be worth the pain.

Thank you for your question. During the procedure the incision will be made low at about the same level as your pubic hair for the scar to be hidden under bikini level. For improved tightening of the upper abdomen a small incision around belly button might be necessary. Placement of the belly button is very important for a beautiful belly. Tummy tuck operation is also a surgical choice for patients whom want to get rid of love handles. Our experienced plastic surgeons will explain these options and help you find out best treatment plan to reach satisfactory results.

Turkey Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar revision

Tummy tuck would be advisable if you want to make your scar less visible and will leave you a flatter abdominal area. 

Charles Nduka, MD
London Plastic Surgeon

Yes...

this is an easy fix.  If your unhappy with the look of your tummy then go for it.  Correcting the scar is easy and does not require a full tummy tuck, and if done correctly should give you a better scar and flatter tummy.  Please review the before/after photos of Plastic surgeons and make sure they are showing you at least 6 views from each patient (including sitting photos) before choosing to go through surgery.

Andre Aboolian, MD

Scar revision and liposuction

If your scar and abdominal contour bother you, I would recommend tummy tuck revision and liposuction.  With any surgery, there will be some downtime and pain associated with it.  However, the revision surgery is not as extensive as your original surgery.  Your plastic surgeon can also inject long-acting local pain medicine for post-operative analgesia.  Please share your concern with your plastic surgeon.

Best regards.

Is Scar Revision Worth It?

The recovery from scar revision surgery and liposuction is going to be significantly less traumatic that your recovery from the tummy tuck. Since it sounds like you're really unhappy with your results, having the surgeries would probably be worth a little discomfort but only you can really decide. Hope this helps.

Kindly,

Kouros Azar

Kouros Azar, MD
Thousand Oaks Plastic Surgeon

Is scar revision worth the pain?

Lipo and scar revision tend to have a much easier recovery than the surgeries you have already had. Skin only operations tend to be less uncomfortable than operations which involve the muscles.

Aesthetically, as a plastic surgeon I would want to try and make your scar look a bit better, but it is not medically necessary. It is really up to you  if it is worth the recovery.  Be sure that your "pooch" is not abdominal wall laxity. Lipo which removes fat and scar revision will not change that.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon