Is the risk of implant rotation or displacement limited to the first few weeks? Or can it happen even years after the operation?

Is the risk of implant rotation or displacement limited to the first few weeks? Or can it happen even years after the operation? My surgeon recommends teardrop implants for me but i am reading a lot about risk of rotation, so i would like to understand if that is a lifetime risk or just a risk for the first few weeks?

Breast Implants rotate

I have attached a link that might be helpful...

Hi klimklim41.  The risk of implant rotation or displacment is ever present, but higher early on before the capsule formation and adherence to the textured implant surface has finished.  Your surgeon will make an appropriate sized pocket for your implant that will also limit the chances of rotation or displacement.  Fortunately, the incidence is low and correction doesn't require an extensive surgery.  Be sure to further discuss with your plastic surgeon as you weigh your concerns of potential risks against the recommended implant type and shape for your optimal cosmetic outcome. Inquire whether a round textured implant would be appropriate as it may help alleviate your concerns about rotation. Best wishes!

Implant movement

Implants can move anytime, but after the first few months it is extremely unlikely as the implant has formed a capsule around it which holds it in place.

If it looks like it has moved after that point, it is likely either a capsular contracture where the capsule get thick and displaces the implant...or the breast itself has changed.

David Dorfman, MD

Risk of implant rotation

The risk of your implant rotating can happen at any time, but is much higher during the early part of your recovery as your capsule is forming. Make sure to share your concerns with your surgeon so that, together, you can determine if this is the right shape implant for you. Best, Dr. Nazarian

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Rotation

Hi. I have seen a teardrop implant rotate 1 year after it was put in. Round is a safer option if you have enough natural breast tissue. Regards

Thank you for your excellent question.  Anatomical implants are textured and designed to incorporate into the surrounding tissues to help prevent rotation. This assumes that the correct sized pocket for the implant is dissected by the surgeon.  The greatest risk of rotation is in the first several months after surgery, when the body is surrounding the implant with capsular tissue.  Once integrated, the further chance of rotation is minimized.  Hope that this helps. 

Thank you for the question. Breast implants can potentially shift/rotate any time after breast augmentation surgery; the risk is not limited to the first few weeks. Best wishes.