Revision surgery needed? Plastic surgeons thoughts on issue (Photo)

Hi there, I had surgery for my gyno about 16 months ago. Surgery went fine and was fairly short in duration as my surgeon said i only had a minimal amount of glandular tissue. However post surgery my right nipple still looked puffy and stuck out slightly more than my left. I asked my surgeon what this could be and he said swelling etc and it would be up to 6 months before i would see the final results. Had steroid injection for scar tissue but still no luck 10 months on

Thank you for your question and photos.  Unfortunately it is difficult to tell from the photos you have provided the quality of your results.  Therefore you need to be seen in person by your operating surgeon to determine if a revision is warranted.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

When to Consider Gynecomastia Surgery Revision to Achieve Even Nipples

"Puffy Nipple Areola Complex" is among the most common forms of gynecomastia. This gland and/or adipose tissue accumulation can be located under the areola or can be slightly extended outside the areola, causing the areola to appear dome shaped.This form of #Gynecomastia can be found in all age groups but is more common in young adults.

As each case is different, the surgeon should determine if you are a suitable candidate for male breast reduction by liposuction or glandular excision. It is also crucial to have a plastic surgeon who is well-versed in the gynecomastia condition can determine if there is firm breast tissue beneath the areola that is causing the nipples to project (which is often the case), and if so, how much of this glandular tissue can be removed to create a flat appearance.
Typically, its best to wait at least one year following the initial surgery to consider a revision. It is imperative you select a plastic surgeon who is #board-certified . In addition to checking board-certifications, it is suggested that you look at before and after photos of the surgeons actual patients, and read patient reviews. Gathering all of this information will help you make a well-informed decision.
Please be advised that each patient is unique and previous results are not a guarantee for individual outcomes. As with all cosmetic surgery, results will be rewarding if expectations are realistic. With any surgical procedure, there are some risks which your doctor will discuss with you during your consultation.

Revision surgery needed? Plastic surgeons thoughts on issue

Did you have any symptoms of pain or tenderness in your nipples prior to surgery 10 months ago?
Do you have any symptoms now in the right nipple?
Is your right nipple increasing in size?
Are you using any substances that can cause gynecomastia?

What does your surgeon say?
Does he/she agree with a revision for aesthetic or symptoms?

There are no contraindications to a revision if aesthetically and medically warranted;
payment policies vary.
If this is "new" gynecomastia  I believe it is fair for the patient to contribute toward the surgical cost of the revision. However, f the condition is stable, OR and anesthesia fees may be required for safety and optimal results.
Make sure there are no ongoing medical conditions if the right breast is slowly enlarging; insurance may help.

Hope this helps

Andrew Kornstein, MD, FACS