Removal of silicone gel implants en bloc/mastopexy/lollipop, NO drain technique? 59, no children. Axilla route in 1990 (Photos)

Feeling anxious regarding my proposed BAAPS/BAPRAS surgeon's no drain technique? I've had my consultation and I've booked a second about 1 week before the provisional surgery date. Although I've received lots of written info I'm still waiting for the cc letter that a surgeon sends to the patient's GP following a consultation of this type. I was seen on the 1st Sept. I've researched and see that there is no conclusive evidence for the use of drains but that it is generally accepted as the norm?

Drains

Every surgeon has his/her preference for using drains with breast surgery. Should there be a lot of bleeding or potential of bleeding, most will use drains. I usually do not use drains with silicone implant removal and capsulectomy.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Implant removal no drain

Placing a drain is really surgeon preference. I always tell my patients that if I think I need a drain I will place one, but I rarely do. With careful technique the surgery you describe is often done without drains. Discuss with your PS if you are concerned. Remember too that while drains allow fluid to exit, they can also be a rout in for bacteria as well.

Adam Tattelbaum, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Removal of breast implants - no drains?

Thank you for asking about your breast implant removal.

• If you have confidence in your surgeon, it is best to let her/him decide if drains are necessary.
  • Many but not all patients need drains after this procedure.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Drains are necessary

For explant surgery, it is almost always best to remove the capsule in its entirety.  This will allow the space to heal.  If you leave the capsule in place, it does not heal.  Fluid can accumulate in the space.  The situation that brings the patient to implant removal will have an affect on the decision.  This is a surgery which requires discussion with the plastic surgeon about the problem, the goals, and the technical concerns.  The body does not re-absorb the capsule.  Revision surgery requires drains because the fluid is going to be generated when you operate on the scar capsule.  If you provide a mechanism for the fluid to be removed (i.e. drains), the risks are lower.  If the fluid accumulates because there were no drains, it will most certainly cause problems in the future.